Vegetarian wanting low carbs

Options
hello there... can anyone help... I have read quite a few posts already about the above but none specificially say "WHAT CAN A VEGETARIAN EAT WHEN DOING A LOW CARB (UNDER 50GMS PER DAY) REGIME"? Soem things that are appropriate : cottage cheese, beanut butter, quorn? my question to you is what else?? thanks

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Tofu, leafy greens, eggs, cheese. These are the ones I can think of at the moment.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Dr. Atkins suggested that vegetarians would find low-carb dieting very difficult to do long-term. He said something like "The range of foods to choose from is simply too boring".
  • mjbryant510
    Options
    Hi!!! I am not a vegetarian (but I was for about 5 years now) but I think I can help you. I try to eat low carb and have found that shiritaki noodles are great to fix my carb/pasta craving and not make me feel overloaded.

Shiritaki noodles are Asian style soy/yam noodles. You can buy them at select food stores (Whole Foods, Harris Teeter (only some of them)) or you can buy them online. The brand that I eat is from House Foods. They have different types of pasta to choose from and even offer recipes. The best part is that each bag is only like 40 calories and no sugar/carbs.

I love them! I hope that this helps!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    That's not just low carb, that's ketogenic, in case you were unaware. I would advise against it unless you have a medical need. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    try higher quality grains, quinoa, black beans and ocassional brown rice. Remember your body needs carbs for energy. So if you eat the higher quality carbs you won't have the same backlash as with refined carbs. :) I struggle with this too...trying to get the refined carbs out of my veggie diet. Here's my food for today:

Brkfast- greek yogurt and banana
    lunch- quinoa salad
    snack- protein shake or bar (I use pea protein), and cherries.
    dinner- quorn cutlet, squash casserole (all veggies), and corn on the cob.

I am interested to see what others say.
  • Pippapipster
    Pippapipster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments.... I actually have around 55lbs to lose so want something that is sustainable - its a long road! I like all the ideas and maybe (Mr) Larius I should up the carbs for my own longevity!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think that the Zone diet is low carb? If I'm right about that, there is a Soy Zone book that you may want to check into! I think that a vegetarian could go low-carb as long as they aren't soy-sensitive and aren't vegan.