Zumba question

Options
Hi

Was wondering if anyone is doing Zumba for their fitness program. I have been researching it over the last week as it was recommended to me by a friend in the next city. I noticed a lot of the moves are a variation of the moves I took in Belly Dancing classes last spring. And since Belly dancing actually strengthened my (hyper-mobile) knees I thought that this might be just as helpful.

The only nearby instructor I found is starting back up once a week this fall but I would like to have some sort of video to work on at home in the meantime (and on the off time of the week when the classes are not on). I found a few starter videos online but the quality isn't great. They work for now but I really like to know what is the best videos to get that gives maximum calorie burn and yet is good at teaching the dance moves.

It looks like it would be even more fun than belly dancing. I am looking forward to the core strengthening. I am certainly not graceful but I am not in it for that. Just want to have fun while exercising.

Shannon

Replies

• adoreabella
    Options
    I ordered the new Exhilarate set online. It comes with 7 DVDS and one of them teaches you all the moves. It's pricy - 95 + shipping in Canada and 90 in US (not sure of shipping) but I absolutely love it. It also has enough variation that you can do a different one each day so you don't get bored. My fave is the "MIX" one - it has dances from all over the world, including belly dancing and french reggaeton.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba class at a community center for about $10/class, but now I do it at my gym. It's a great workout and FUN too!

On the Zumba site you can search for local Zumba classes: http://www.zumba.com/
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can order the new Exhilerate DVDs and it comes with several DVDs - even one to break down the steps. You can also get on YouTube and find lots and lots of routines. I'm an instructor for Zumba and usually I don't recommend that because it takes away from classes, but sometimes getting to a class is just not an option for some people - and I get that lol. You can also pull up the basic steps of Zumba on YouTube as well - search for Merengue, Salsa, Reggaeton, Cumbia, Tango, Flamenco, Samba (this is one of the hardest ones to learn... I'm still struggling with it!), and Belly Dance. I have alot of these types saved in a play list and I go back to them when I need a refresher course lol. Zumba is a wonderful fitness program! Good luck to you!
  • featherweight221
    Options
    I love my Zumba classes! I started last February and they have really helped me lose weight and I have so much fun. I've been researching the Zumba Wii--I'm going to get that for when I can't get to class. You can set it for a 20, 40 or 60 minute workout and it does teach you the moves and lets you know when you're doing it right. As far as calorie burn goes--it all depends on you. I use a heart rate monitor to tell me how many calories I'm burning. Good luck!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Oh, I just searched and found 3 instructors in your area! :smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about where you live, but I got my 7 disc set with shakers/weights from target... was quite pricey at round 150$ but worth it :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Buy the actual Zumba DVDs. You can get them at www.zumba.com, Amazon.com or maybe get used ones on Ebay. I've been doing this as my primary exercise at January and LOVE it! It is so easy and fun but really burns the calories. I use the DVDs because classes don't fit my schedule.
  • theLBshow
    Options
    Shannon-

I am obsessed! I absolutely LOVE Zumba, and I use that as well as other cardiovascular activity as part of my fitness program. I wasn't very graceful at first either, however since I have been going regularly, I am becoming more familiar with the moves and am starting to look like a natural!

Good Luck!!
  • whispiri
    whispiri Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys, I just wanted to know what direction to go in.....I didn't know what everyone recommended (there seemed to be a few choices). I have contacted the Zumba instructor the other night and she is gonna keep me posted when the class starts (I am so excited) but I like the fact of having something regular to work on at home because one day a week is not consistent enough for me. I love my morning time to work out before anyone is up.

Shannon