Knee pains when exercising

Options
So I started my weightloss journey 7 weeks ago and I would exercise 4 days a week. For the first 3-4 weeks I would do just cardio - 60 mins at the gym 2 days a week and about 20 mins of aerobics at home 2 days a week. After around 3-4 weeks I began to add strength training including a lot of squats but I'd always have a day or 2 rest days after strength training. I would really enjoy my exercises and it would give me a lot of energy.
However, for about a week or more now, I've been getting pains in my knees when I exercise, which I'm quite worried about as I'm only 21. Yesterday I went to the gym and I only managed to do about 25 mins of exercise as my knee started killing me. And then today I started my aerobics at home and my knee began hurting again. This is a problem for me as I weighed myself today and I've gained a pound since I last weighed myself 2 weeks ago. What should I do?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    First, see a doctor.

Also, see a trainer or a good spotter to make sure you're doing your squats and other strength movements appropriately.

It sounds like you've jumped in too hard too fast and you're just overstressing. But, you need to make sure that's all. For now, back off a bit.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    See a doc. Sore muscles are one thing, but painful joints/tendons can be worse. Best to get it looked at before tendinitis set in. Acute inflammation can be bad enough.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Focus on accurately counting your calories and keep to your calorie allowance while you rest and/or seek medical attention. It's primarily the diet portion of "diet and exercise" that makes us lose weight.
  • mafernanda_
    mafernanda_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently experienced knee pain in one of my knees, the solution was to take care of my diet and not workout for a week, YOU NEED TO GIVE YOUR BODY A BREAK if you want to recover soon, also you can try to apply some icey-hot ointment and then cover your knee with a bandage.
  • MVFORLYFE
    MVFORLYFE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your knees are hurting because you are performing a variation of the squat that puts your knees at risk by absorbing the weight.

In other words, your form is breaking down and you are performing a 'half squat' which puts too much tension on your knee joints causing inflammation and pain. You should reduce the weight on your squat and focus on maintaining good form - use a video camera to record yourself squatting and make sure you are squatting to parallel.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    It could be the form from your weight lifting, or it could be Runners Knee from your cardio, too. Are you using a treadmill and running? Over-training, bad running form, or even bad shoes could be your culprit.

Maybe take a week off, do upper body core work every other day, focus on your diet and CICO then re-visit your workouts? Getting fitted for good shoes from a proper running store helped my knee tremendously. Using lighter weights on your lifts in the beginning and focusing on form first is a great way to build a good foundation for strength training, too.

Good luck!
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    see dr. And possibly physical therapist

I have knee pain (arthritis/bone on bone) in both knees. I can not do cardio type exercises. I do CrossFit and love it. I have learned to llive the pain.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Get it looked at before it becomes chronic.

Could be overuse, too much too fast and combo of bad form etc. I wonder what programming you are following that would have you doing 'a lot of squats'?