Help needed with reaching calorie goal

Options
I've been on the 1200 calorie diet for about 6 months with great success but now I find it difficult to eat that much. Has anyone else had that problem?

I need suggestions for ways to increase my calorie intake because now it is causing my weight loss to significantly slow down :( I eat a primarily vegetarian diet (lean meat maybe once a week) due to meat allergies. I want to make sure I add in healthy choices but my foods tend to be lower in calories and I'm having trouble with just eating a larger volume (yesterday I struggled with 850, I just felt "stuffed")

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!!

Replies

• KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts of any kind, cheeses. Anything that is higher in fat and protein would be good to add calories.

Edit: Peanut butter without extra sugar added.

PS: your body cannot produce mono and poly unsaturated fats, and these are required for proper function. Cheeses will be mostly saturated fats, which your body can produce if it needs to.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat more to ingest more calories just make different food choices such as:
    Add nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit as a snack
    Use nut and seed butters on crackers or fruit
    switch to full fat or higher fat % MF products (switch from 0% yogurt to 3.5%)
    don't eat diet or lite foods, eat the full fat "real" versions
    have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water
    add olive oil to soups or salads (a tsp or 2 each time)
    Add Avocado to salads and sandwiches
    etc
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Wow... I wish I had that problem. Like the nut suggestion. Adding ground flax to smoothies, yogurt, cottage cheese. Olive oil to salad dressings. Quinoa is a good grain that is a bit higher in calories.
  • FloatingNee
    FloatingNee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I forgot about adding nuts in, silly me. I have a mild foods allergy to nuts so I eat them sparingly but seeds don't bother me so I'll be adding those in as snacks and salad toppers. Milk is my worst food allergen so I can only eat fat free cheeses to avoid sneezing and a stuffy nose (I have lots of food allergies that make things a little difficult)

That's for the suggestions!
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hard cheeses, such as Parmesan are lower in lactose I do believe, and with a hunk of Parm you can do all sorts of amazing things.