Tips for over 50's

Options
Hi there, I was wondering how you over 50's exercise, lose weight, what foods you eat, etc...
Have you learned anything over the years of experience on being healthy, happy, etc...that you would like to share....Do' and don'ts...

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's essentially the same as far as foods. Calories may be a little lower IF we aren't active.

Exercise is different for me now. Back in the day weight loss was cardio and then more cardio. Not smart. Now I make sure strength training is a part of my routine. It doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, but holding onto lean muscle mass is so important. As we lose weight we can lose fat+muscle. A moderate deficit, a decent amount of protein and strength training can help us hold on to more muscle.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    58 here...... so far I've lost 111 lbs.

I've learned losing weight and keeping it off starts and stops with my diet. Plate pushaways are the best exercises for me.

Otherwise I normally live a fairly active life doing things I love to do.... biking, golfing, kayaking, hiking, walking.

I don't need to run marathons..... been there, done that. I just need to live my life.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    56 years old here. Lost 118 pounds 4 years ago. The most important thing that I learned was that losing weight doesn't require adding particular foods, or restricting others. To lose weight you need to eat fewer calories than your body needs to maintain weight. It doesn't have to be complicated. Use this site to figure out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight and eat that amount. Buy a kitchen scale to weigh your food. Exercise is not essential for losing weight, but it is great for your health. Don't do an exercise that you hate, do what you enjoy.
    Don't beat your self up if you over eat occasionally, its called life and happens to everyone. They key is to not give up and carry on. I hope this helps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My 50's have been my best decade for health and fitness in many ways.
    Lost my excess weight at 52. Regained my strength and actually got fitter than ever - a lot of that is down to having more "me time" now the children are self-sufficient.

My normal exercise routine and preference is alternate days strength training and cycling - it's the cycling that is predominate in the warmer months and the driving force behind my fitness improvements. Currently training hard ahead of my first long distance event of the year (92 miles) and my longest to date is 129 miles.

I retired last year so I'll be able to devote more time to my hobbies. I'll probably exceed the 5,000 miles I cycled last year.

I eat "all da foodz" but mostly it's home cooked and from many different cultures and styles. Since retiring I've got more time to cook so have learned to bake bread and enjoy experimenting with new dishes.

You have to continue to challenge yourself in all aspects of life IMHO to avoid ageing prematurely.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thoughts:

* Life is too short for foods that aren't tasty!

* Good nutrition is important (for health, mood, energy, etc.) but there are lots of different ways to achieve it.

* The stronger and fitter I am, the better I feel all the time.

* The magic formula for being stronger and fitter is to find active things I enjoy so much that I'd do them even if they weren't good for me.

* Ways of eating that have names and strict rules are mostly a trap, a scam, a red herring.

* Life balance is important: Family, job, friends, intellectual stimulation, creative play, fitness, nutrition and more. Nutrition and fitness need to fit in their appropriate spot . . . not too little, not pushing more vital things out.

My story: I started being very active around age 47, shortly after breast cancer treatment, after a mostly sedentary adult life. (I'm a rower, on water when possible, machine when necessary. I also spin, bike, sometimes weight train or swim, do a little yoga.) I stayed obese for a decade or so, then at 59-60 lost 50+ pounds in just under a year, and have stayed at a healthy weight since. (I'm 62). If it matters, I'm also hypothroid.

I wrote this post about eating, which is pretty much what I did myself (just with more midstream experimenting/floundering woven into it):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Best wishes!