Training each body part 1 or 2 X a week

Options
zakbailey7
zakbailey7 Posts: 28 Member
I usually train Sunday-Friday (6 days) and add whatever cardio I can into my session for e.g boxing, stair mill and rowing machine or maybe do a split day. I've recently dropped cardio a little bit and been doing a split weight session instead so throwing in some biceps at the end of a chest workout or triceps and the end of a back workout etc so in effect been training each body part 2 X a week and my body seems to be responding great... Just wondering what everybody else does?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure most of us on here don't do a body part split, but instead do a full body, upper/lower, or push/pull. I, personally, do an upper/lower split with two days of upper and three days of lower each week.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    4-day upper lower, intensity volume split. Sat and Sunday are intensity days with 2 compound movements then 3-4 isolation assistance lifts. By intensity I would run as many as 6 sets of singles or up to 4x4. This is only done on compounds. Tuesday and Wednesday are volume meaning 5x4 or up to 5x6 in compounds. It is also DUP for reps and sets. Oh and if you didn’t catch it my focus is on strength not hypertrophy. Still isolation lift tend to go to the 8-15 range.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What my powerlifting coach tells me to do.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I "train" twice per week Tue / Fri. I may also dink around with weights in the backyard or do body weight exercises in the park with kids every once in a while (when the weather gets better). I'd do more if I could.. but given we've got a 7 month old baby I'm lucky to sneak this much in.

Tue
    Squat (heavy)
    Bench
    Wide grip chinups

Fri
    Squat (light)
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I work each (main) body part at least twice a week. Goals are hypertrophy mainly. My program is nothing crazy.. glutes get hit 4x per week, quads and hamstrings 3-4x, upper body is a mix of push/pull on my full body days, plus one extra upper day to add anything extra.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Lower body 3X/week, Upper anterior 2X/week, Upper posterior 2X/week
    LISS daily mainly just to hit activity level goals

(I find "bro" splits confusing from a you can't really isolate a bodypart completely for many exercises standpoint of view & not having enough frequency...plus there's only so many variations one can do for a muscle group ex) chest...presses & flies with various angles...until you start throwing in somewhat redundant "unique" exercises often involving cables, kettlebells, resistance bands, etc.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I train 4x a week.. 2 upper and 2 lower. Heavy the first two days and the other two aimed at hypertrophy.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What my powerlifting coach tells me to do.

Yep. Except mine is a week by week program.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly less orthodox approach
    I used to do a standard "bro-split" chest and triceps cardio, back and biceps, cardio, legs, cardio, goof off/recuperation day, repeat.
    When I stalled I decided to substitute an arm day (biceps and triceps) for one cardio day and began making progress again...
    Then I stalled again especially with back progress and figured I was going so intense on deadlift that my other back and bicep work were really wasted because I ran out of steam by the time I got to them... so I pulled deadlifts out of back and biceps day dropped another cardio session and gave it its own day (and added shoulders and traps to fill it out and because they were lagging)
    Progress resumed... Then when it stalled again I did the same thing with squats (adding shoulders there too 'cause they're still one of my weaknesses) because after squats I wasn't able to put much into anything else...

That put me at 6 lifting days and no cardio.
    I added 20 minutes of cardio right after my lifting every gym day (I also hit abs every gym day)

I have been happy with the results for a while now and it pretty much hits every muscle group twice a week.

I should probably add that I'm going to be 52 in a few weeks, so you younger guys might not bonk as badly as I do after squats and deadlifts. Obviously YMMV.

LOL I don't seem to be able to decide if I am focusing on powerlifting or bodybuilding but I get a Dexa every 6 months or so and my summer ones have me in the 8s and the winter ones around 13.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I train each bodypart 2x weekly on a push / pull split.
    • Monday: high rep push
    • Tuesday: low rep pull
    • Friday: low rep push
    • Saturday: high rep pull
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    fitdadclay wrote: »
    Generally I do each body part twice per week, with doing hitt cardio for 15min to get warmed up.
    Monday- Back
    Tuesday- Chest&Arm
    Wednesday-Legs
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Chest
    Saturday-Arms/accessory’s of what needs work
    Then I squat Monday, Wednesday, Friday to work on growing my legs more.

Deadlift-conventional Monday / sumo Wednesday

7-9sets each workout big lifts at 8-10reps and accessory lifts 2x25 60%

All workouts take under an hour, then I do core work at the end of every workout.

Bro, one is ripped up :o
  • Shannongr29
    Shannongr29 Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Generally I do each body part twice per week, with doing hitt cardio for 15min to get warmed up.
    Monday- Back
    Tuesday- Chest&Arm
    Wednesday-Legs
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Chest

All workouts take under an hour, then I do core work at the end of every workout.

What’s hiit cardio exactly? I’ve heard so many different takes on what it means
  • Shannongr29
    Shannongr29 Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Monday- Back
    Tuesday- Chest&Arm
    Wednesday-Legs
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Chest

Bro, one is ripped up :o

#truth
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I train my compound lifts squat and bench 3x per week, deadlift twice, and all other muscle groups with isolation for hypertrophy 2 x per week. I'd never leave anything for only once.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sgreer29 wrote: »
    zakbailey7 wrote: »
    I usually train Sunday-Friday (6 days) and add whatever cardio I can into my session for e.g boxing, stair mill and rowing machine or maybe do a split day. I've recently dropped cardio a little bit and been doing a split weight session instead so throwing in some biceps at the end of a chest workout or triceps and the end of a back workout etc so in effect been training each body part 2 X a week and my body seems to be responding great... Just wondering what everybody else does?

Adding a little more cardio will actually improve your results in building muscle mass. Obviously cardio increases metabolism, but an increase in metabolism means your body is more efficient at breaking down your muscle fibers and adding new ones. Cardio is especially useful in building up the calves, quads, and gams. Just focus on short burst of cardio, not extended times. 20 minutes of intervals tends to have the best results

Cardio doesn't improve body composition or increase metabolism. It improves heart health and burns calories.