Safe Weight-loss

Options
What is the amount of weight you should be losing per week? I've always heard it is about 1.5 pounds, but I somehow always manage to lose more a week some weeks. My first week I lost 4 pounds, then the next few weeks I lost 1 pound a week, .5 pounds a week. But I weighed myself Monday and then again today at the same time during the day (after I woke up) and I weigh 2.2 pounds less. Is that bad?

Replies

• lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    nope it's normal...some weeks you will loose more some less just as you have done...make sure the average is not more than 2 lb per week or you may be loosing too fast...
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 months on average i have lost 2 3/4 Lbs per week, am i doomed?!!!!!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 months on average i have lost 2 3/4 Lbs per week, am i doomed?!!!!!

You will suddenly drop dead for no apparent reason... But then WE will come and say: we told you so!

On the original topic, and joking aside, though, if it was unhealthy you should hopefully feel that your body is giving you warning signs (and there is no reason why your loss would not be fine).
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What is the amount of weight you should be losing per week? I've always heard it is about 1.5 pounds, but I somehow always manage to lose more a week some weeks. My first week I lost 4 pounds, then the next few weeks I lost 1 pound a week, .5 pounds a week. But I weighed myself Monday and then again today at the same time during the day (after I woke up) and I weigh 2.2 pounds less. Is that bad?

Hmm..i guess it's not bad..and anyway, at starts, when people start to lose weight in the first weeks and months it's easier to lose weight cause first u slimm down most liquids and these..when i started i slimm down about 4 or 5 pounds / week too
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Nope...In the intial stages of your weigh loss-- especially when you have a lot to lose..you will average more but as you get smaller and smaller do expect your weight loss to slow down some...
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 pounds since Memorial Day.
    At first this made me mad. I thought, who would go on a diet that promised you'd lose 15 pounds in 3 months? I'm used to seeing ads that promise 20 pounds in 2 months or some other incredible claim!
    In a saner frame of mind, I know that 5 pounds a month is pretty good. I'm 61! My husband lost around 90 pounds in the past year. I thought he lost it very quickly. He did the math and he had lost at a rate of five and two third pounds per month, on average. He's 46. This gave me hope and I accept that this is a more realistic expectation.
    I only weigh every few weeks, so I don't see the daily up and down on the scale. Scales make me crazy, so I limit my exposure.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    depending on how much you need to lose, losing more than 2 lbs/week is o.k. Also, in the first week you lose more b/c of water weight.

As long as you are eating healthy, and exercising, don't worry about "losing too much."

As you get closer to your goal weight, you'll start to lose slower, but until then enjoy and good luck!
  • amberchrista
    amberchrista Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies! Instead of being excited when I stepped off the scale today I was a bit frightened that something was wrong. But I'm glad my dieting and exercising are finally paying off!