Can too much fruit be bad for you?

Options
I've been eating a lot of fruit lately and want to know if it's too much..carbohydrate and sugar wise? That seems to be the majority of what I've been eating, besides vegetables too. I totally exceeded my carb and sugar intake, but I wouldn't think it would be bad...but I don't know.

Replies

• RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I would say too much fruit isn't the best option. Lots of natural sugar and carbs.......
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You might want to keep it to 1-2 servings a day.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I think the recommended daily amount is around 2-4 servings.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think a more balanced diet works best for me. Sugar in general triggers me to eat more sugar. Also I have low blood sugar - so it can impact me. Try and get some protein in there to balance it out. Awhile back (before MFP) I ate nuts and fruit (I called it my Monkey diet) and I gained weight. So I am trying hard to balance things out and stay within my carb, sugar, sodium levels - can't always manage to keep all 3 out of the red - but I move it around so one day my sugar might be over, but the rest are in line, etc.
    Good luck to you.
  • bvneumann
    Options
    According to weight clinic experts, they advise not to eat any fruit after three PM. Stick to Protein in the afternoon and evenings.
    Hope this helps. It has helped me tremendously.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is a bad thing. That includes too much 'good' sugar.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Only if it disturbs your macronutrients intakes. Basically, the problem wouldn't be too much fruit or carbs, as much as it would be too little protein or fat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

recommended intake for fruit and veggies is 5-7, but the majority should be from veggies. If you eat 5 F&V at most 2 should be fruit, if you eat 7 f&V than 3 should be the maximum amount of fruit.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

The recommended daily amount is 1-2 a day. The recommended daily amount of fruits AND veggies is 3-5 (though I think this may have changed recently to 5-7).

To the original poster - if you want to lose weight, you can't be eating 7 servings of fruit a day and exceeding your carb and sugar allowance. There is a reason that this site has a guideline - it's to help you lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Too much of anything is never good.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    As to my knowledge the doctor states fruit is good...Only fresh fruit though even though they have a lot of sugar he told me it was good sugar...because i eat fruit all day ...I will have a banana for potassium, grapes, organges, sometimes i eat kiwi and coconut ..I love mangos so i love fruit fruit also make you have alot of bowel movements...Pomegrante is also good to eat help the immune system...
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Id cut back quite a bit. I took a peek at your diary and all you ate yesterday was fruits and veggies and coffee.. You need protein and other foods to incorporate a healthy balance.
  • barberella
    barberella Posts: 199
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I decided to eat some protein and not just do the fruits and veggies. I'm just going to continue to stay away from breads for now, but I do need protein, I agree..
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There has been research on rats (yes I know rats...) on fruitarian diets and they quickly become defficient in vitamins, then the studied half fruit half regular and still deficencies, I would say in moderation but fruit does not supply all your nutritional needs so make sure you arent missing other types of food you need, I dont think the fruit itself it the problem but it substituing other needs