Pure Barre Classes- Calories

Hello, I take a lot of Pure Barre classes. Wondering how you all count them or enter them in the exercise log? I don't have a fit bit ..or any other measuring device.. wondering how many calories one class burns?

Replies

• Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    I am a Pure Barre fanatic. Map My Walk says I burn 400 calories per class, but I think that is way overestimating. MMW syncs the calories to MFP and I only eat 200 back mostly for help with recovery.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    The barre classes at my gym I don't find super challenging, so I have been logging them as 35min Pilates class for a 45 min barre class (since there is down time for stretching and explaining positions), which gets me a measly 85 calories.
    There used to be an instructor who incorporated more pliés/lunges and in general moved at a faster pace so I used calisthenics as my entry, which puts me at 119 calories.

Best method for you is try logging them as Pilates or calisthenics for a set amount of time and evaluate if you feel hungry or if you are losing too fast or not fast enough over a span of a week or two. Then you can zero in on a estimate that works for you.

I've been using that estimate above for almost a year now through weightloss and maintenance and it seems like it has been working.
  • ashleyih
    ashleyih Posts: 76 Member
    I’ve researched this a bit and found that for about an hour barre, avg person burns 200-300 calories...higher end, the more that you weigh. Hope this helps!
  • RadishEater
    Wow my barre instructor must be really easy then (this is at a college campus not a boutique fitness club) because I would be starving if I wasn't eating those extra 100-200 calories. I generally eat back 70% of my calories from exercise.

It is probably best to pick an estimate than reevaluate in a couple weeks if you aren't seeing the downward trend or a downward trend that is too fast.
  • jaycer777
    jaycer777 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I do a Barre Burn class at the Equinox that's estimate as 228 calories burned. They also have a Gold Barre which has jumping but I don't know the calories burned for it. I'd assume it's more.

I'd assume Pure Barre would burn less as it's more standing and less weights used.

• RadishEater
    That's interesting because even if I entered an hour long Barre class as calithenics class, I wouldn't a 200 calorie burn according to myfitnesspal. Now im interested in what a heart rate monitor or some other device that would give me an calories burned estimate would say.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Okay, I will admit that when I saw Pure Barre I thought about working out in the nude.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    I use an Apple Watch and use the HR monitor, and it has an option to select barre as your workout. If you go to a lot of classes, your experience is probably similar to mine- there are some classes where I feel like I really got a good burn in (lots of shaking and sweating!), and some I don't feel I got as much out of. For the sweaty, shaky classes it's usually around 350-400 cals on my Apple Watch. For the less intense ones it may be closer to 225-250. I log what my watch shows, but don't eat back all of those calories because I'm not sure I fully trust it! I just looked, and if I log calisthenics- light/moderate effort, the cals come out to 210 (based on my stats, of course), so that might be a decent conservative estimate for logging purposes.