Hello! I'm NEW to Fitness Pal

Options
I'm just a bit frustrated that when I add strength training exercises which I spend time with at the gym...well they don't show calories spent. Calories burned only show when I enter Cardio...walking, etc. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Kudos16 wrote: »
    I'm just a bit frustrated that when I add strength training exercises which I spend time with at the gym...well they don't show calories spent. Calories burned only show when I enter Cardio...walking, etc. Am I doing something wrong?

Log them under Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) via the cardio section.
  • MelodyBronson
    MelodyBronson Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That's what I do...I log my strength training under cardio.....I researched on how many calories are burned depending on what weight/strength training exercise I am doing.....I have this info saved....so on the days I do strength training, I log it under cardio....hope this helps out....
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    YMMV, but I've personally found the database to overestimate exercise calories from strength training and other users in other threads have said the same.

For reference, my sedentary TDEE per TDEECalculator.net is 2203. Using a spreadsheet I found on reddit to estimate my TDEE from my daily weight and calories, my actual TDEE is only 2460 even though I consistently lift on a push/pull split 5-6 days/week (roughly 1 hour sessions). I have found this method to be accurate observing my weight loss/gain since I started using the sheet last July. Going by a heart rate monitor or UA record, it tries to give me about 514 calories/hour. Adjusting the TDEE from a weekly basis to compensate for the days I don't lift, the net 1799 additional calories for the week (257 * 7 = 1799) divided by the workout days only yields 300-360 exercise calories, or 58-70% of the UA Record calories (Gym - Total body setting).
  • Kudos16
    Kudos16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the good info...eventually this will all make sense.
    Now, I thought I read somewhere on the site that I can receive guidance when eating at restaurants?
    How...I don't see a tab for that...appreciate your help.