Initial weight loss question

Hi all,

A question I’ve often wondered about is this...when you (me in this case) first start a weight loss plan, what is the weight that comes off rapidly? Is it water, water and fat or water, fat and muscle? Ive lost 11lbs in 8 days (don't worry, I'm well aware this is not good and not sustainable but i did this purposefully for a week just because i knew i could lose several pounds quickly and only to make exercising easier. im back to being sensible and maintaining a 2lbs a week weight loss with 11lbs to go)....so would most of that loss have been water?
The way i lost the above weight rapidly (yes not advisable) was to exercise everyday 30-45 mins high intensity cardio, eat 1000-1300 calories, walking to and from the gym (3 miles total) and low carb diet. Glad ive stopped doing that now as it obviously gave me little energy.
thanks all

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    You are set to lose 2 pounds a week with only 11 more to go? :grimace:

I think you know this is not healthy, say good bye to your muscle. And low carb will have you losing mainly water the first week. Hopefully you will change your rate of loss to something more reasonable and healthy like .5 a week and be patience.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    If you have only 11lbs to go til goal then 2lbs is too much, 0.5-1lb per week would be more advisable.

11lbs lost in 8 days when you don't have that much to lose is worrying, yes a lot of it will be water weight but also there will be muscle loss in there too as well as fat.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I think it is unlikely that you burned off 48,100 excess calories in 8 days. That is estimating 3500 per pound of fat with an average intake of 1200 calories per day. For your loss to be all fat that is what you would have had to burn. It is likely a little bit of fat, lots of water and possibly a bit of muscle.
  • Spen1973
    Spen1973 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you all and I will definitely now change down to 0.5lb target a week. I appreciate the advice!!!