Disappointment

Options
This is just a general rant.

I have almost completely derailed myself. I had lost a total of 86lbs by the end of February 2018. Since then I have gained back 10lbs.

I know what I need to do to get back down but I keep giving in and lacking discipline and go back to bad habits because they are easy.

I guess recognizing the problem is half the hurdle. It's never too late to start. I just need some motivation.

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have achieved a great weight loss. Don't beat yourself up about this 10 lbs. When you figure this out it will be gone. Trust yourself...you can do it. You have done it. Maybe something triggered you to go back to old habits? Stress?
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You know you're capable, you've done it before! This time you've recognized the weight creeping so early, that's an awesome sign for maintenance. If you get yourself on track now you'll be back where you want so much easier than if you let it slip longer. Best of luck!
  • CharlesS6730
    CharlesS6730 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    Wow, you have achieved a great weight loss. Don't beat yourself up about this 10 lbs. When you figure this out it will be gone. Trust yourself...you can do it. You have done it. Maybe something triggered you to go back to old habits? Stress?

I just love food too much. I love all the things I shouldn’t eat. However, it has been about 5 months without drinking soda so I’ll take that win any day!

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can eat all the things you love. You may not eat as much of those things as you used to, but you can absolutely have them. Log everything and stay within your calorie limits. I eat cheeseburgers, ice cream, pizza, chocolate, etc, and lose just fine as long as I am logging and sticking within calories.
  • CharlesS6730
    Options
    You can eat all the things you love. You may not eat as much of those things as you used to, but you can absolutely have them. Log everything and stay within your calorie limits. I eat cheeseburgers, ice cream, pizza, chocolate, etc, and lose just fine as long as I am logging and sticking within calories.

I am aware of that but my best progress was when I was following Paleo. I suppose it kept me away from the high carbs and sugar. Plus I tend to eat way too much when I really like something. Definitely a control issue.
  • CharlesS6730
    Options

I am aware of that but my best progress was when I was following Paleo. I suppose it kept me away from the high carbs and sugar. Plus I tend to eat way too much when I really like something. Definitely a control issue.

But you obviously can't sustain the Paleo way of eating for the rest of your life, or you wouldn't have gone off of it and regained. Learn to eat the things you like within moderation. That is what creates sustainability.

I totally agree. Thank you for the tip! I really do appreciate it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You haven't failed if you haven't given up.

In your situation, I think it's a matter of reflection. What has changed that has caused the weight gain?
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic achievement, you have done so well and you will again it’s just a bump in the road and you will get over it. I don’t deprive myself of food that I enjoy because if I do I crave it which leads to binging so I’ve found I can eat the food I like in moderation. My downfall has always been comfort eating when I’m emotional and that’s the first thing I’ve had to deal with and change my habits. You’ve realised the issue so now it’s time to take control, you can do this.
  • CharlesS6730
    Options
    kelMee2 wrote: »
    What a fantastic achievement, you have done so well and you will again it’s just a bump in the road and you will get over it. I don’t deprive myself of food that I enjoy because if I do I crave it which leads to binging so I’ve found I can eat the food I like in moderation. My downfall has always been comfort eating when I’m emotional and that’s the first thing I’ve had to deal with and change my habits. You’ve realised the issue so now it’s time to take control, you can do this.

My issue is the snowball effect. I let myself have something then I just go to town. I do great when I challenge myself because I am determined when I want to be.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »

I just love food too much. I love all the things I shouldn’t eat. However, it has been about 5 months without drinking soda so I’ll take that win any day!

If you loved food, you would build a healthy relationship with food, not use it to harm yourself.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Consider this, maybe you don’t know what you have to do. Folks who say that usually seem to mean that they think they need to impose a food austerity program. But whatever your previous efforts, taken as a whole it’s gotten you an 86lb loss, a 10lb bounce back and seems to have left you worn out.

Why not start over from here like day one? Calculate a modest calorie deficit from where you are right now. Start a food diary, crunch numbers. Rework any numbers or assumptions you were working with. Instead of just pushing against bad habits, spend some time thinking about what better habits you would prefer to have. And how to get them started.

Whenever possible, do things the easy way. Keep telling yourself that perfect is the enemy of the good. You don’t need to take on everything at once. Just keep trying to make better plans and get better results.

To nit pick- I quit telling myself I love food, any kind of food. or eating. It’s not true. If I love food, what does that say about how I feel about my family? Saying I love food is an unhelpful exaggeration. It brings unnecessary emotion to the process.

When in losing mode, I hated losing the same lbs twice. Think about it while you go after that next 10.
  • CharlesS6730
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Consider this, maybe you don’t know what you have to do. Folks who say that usually seem to mean that they think they need to impose a food austerity program. But whatever your previous efforts, taken as a whole it’s gotten you an 86lb loss, a 10lb bounce back and seems to have left you worn out.

Why not start over from here like day one? Calculate a modest calorie deficit from where you are right now. Start a food diary, crunch numbers. Rework any numbers or assumptions you were working with. Instead of just pushing against bad habits, spend some time thinking about what better habits you would prefer to have. And how to get them started.

Whenever possible, do things the easy way. Keep telling yourself that perfect is the enemy of the good. You don’t need to take on everything at once. Just keep trying to make better plans and get better results.

To nit pick- I quit telling myself I love food, any kind of food. or eating. It’s not true. If I love food, what does that say about how I feel about my family? Saying I love food is an unhelpful exaggeration. It brings unnecessary emotion to the process.

When in losing mode, I hated losing the same lbs twice. Think about it while you go after that next 10.

You know what. That is exactly what I am doing. You read my mind. I set a new goal. Recalculated my calorie needs and brought out my determined mindset. Thanks for the advice!
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have my best progress with Paleo, too. Most Paleo enthusiasts preach an 80/20 rule. With that said, what about Paleo on weekdays and allow yourself the non-Paleo goodies on the weekends? That way you have a plan to follow that also allows for stuff like soda?

All the best. Admitting you need motivation is half the battle. Now press forward!
  • Enji_J
    Enji_J Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Remember forgiveness, my friend. If you were going to learn yoga for the first time, would you learn better and perform better if your instructor scolded you and berated you every time you made a mistake? Or do you think you would learn better if your instructor was forgiving, understanding, and loving? I sure as hell don't want someone following me around every day writing down every mistake I make, so you shouldn't do that to yourself either.

As humans, we have a tendency to beat ourselves up and in turn we conjure and harbor negative emotions that continue to impact us daily. These negative thoughts and emotions only tend to exacerbate the problem. You have already done a phenomenal job with a net positive gain. It's okay to struggle, right? Of course it is! If it were easy, everyone would have done it! So don't beat yourself up man, just relax, and take another step in the right direction. When those thoughts and urges come into your head, just relax, meditate, and breath. Let the negativity flow through you and go. Let it pass as easy as it comes and take another step forward. Remember my man, it's not about winning the race, it's about being in it. You are already years of progress ahead of countless others. Some won't even get the opportunity to appreciate for themselves HALF of what you've accomplished. So pat yourself on the back, and think about everything you've already done, and realize this isn't the end of the world.

Take another step forward. You can do it man. You've done an amazing job thus far. I believe in you!
  • MrSmooth2017
    MrSmooth2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You just need to adjust your plan to something you are happy with. A plan to lose weight will only work if you can stick to it. You know what works, but its not motivation, its the plan is probably 75-80% right for you and you just need to find 20%. Its normal to put on weight after losing so much, and if you look at most peoples progress over a year you would see that this does happen. All youv'e done is got stuck in a bit of traffic as you have got a bit bored going the same way all the time. Take a different route for some of it and the motivation and progress will come back!