Can a job be too strenuous and inhibit weight loss goals/cause weight retention?

13»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Yes lots of sound advice. You haven't been logging consistently, start logging/weighing your food. While stress will cause some water weight to be retained to keep gaining you have to be eating above what you are burning. I know its not easy to hear, none of us like being told we're probably eating too much if we aren't losing but its fact.

Do update us in a few weeks when you have been logging everything, I am pretty sure you will report a loss by then when you have a calorie deficit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    You are busy and stressed, and honestly, I am not sure weighing and measuring and logging is right for your lifestyle. I would choose a plan that is already portion controlled to make it mindless to not eat too many calories. There are literally thousands of options, and all likely will involve you eating around 1300ish calories. It could be buying diet meals or using those colorful containers or skipping a meal and doing a shake instead. Thousands. My mother did not have the head space given her stressful job to handle calorie counting or WW and lost weight on Jenny Craig (or whichever one the celebrity is endorsing on TV at night. I don’t think you scan blame stress for the weight gain, but it’s hard to focus on how much a potato weighs when your days are so difficult.

yet diet meals that are prepackaged can be off by up to 20% ,some of them are even 2 portions. as for 1300 calories that may not be enough for her if she is on her feet all day and lugging stuff around like she states. and many of those meal plans dont have set amount of calories. they are all going to vary by person especially the colorful container.s those things are not a one size fits all type of thing.those portion controlled containers for some ends up being very low calories. on days off she can always pre package her own food by weighing everything and portioning it out for the week.

she doesnt have to weigh but its a tool like everything else and for many of us its what got us started losing again or for the first time even. sure you can lose weight other ways but many think they are eating less than they are and weighing is the only way to be accurate on how much you are truly eating.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    You are busy and stressed, and honestly, I am not sure weighing and measuring and logging is right for your lifestyle. I would choose a plan that is already portion controlled to make it mindless to not eat too many calories. There are literally thousands of options, and all likely will involve you eating around 1300ish calories. It could be buying diet meals or using those colorful containers or skipping a meal and doing a shake instead. Thousands. My mother did not have the head space given her stressful job to handle calorie counting or WW and lost weight on Jenny Craig (or whichever one the celebrity is endorsing on TV at night. I don’t think you scan blame stress for the weight gain, but it’s hard to focus on how much a potato weighs when your days are so difficult.

The potato only needs to be weighed once. I did not know what a medium of anything was until I weighed it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    [
    The potato only needs to be weighed once. I did not know what a medium of anything was until I weighed it.

I think you need to weigh your potatoes every time IF calorie counting is your weight loss method (or part of it.) I weigh my tomatoes, and meat etc. and have been doing so for half a decade.

But weighing potatoes doesn’t make you lose weight. Eating fewer calories does—and there are so many lower stress way to do that. Not every approach works fits everyone. I personally am not a shakes or packaged meal person, but I get why they work for so many people.

No one will pry my measuring spoons from my cold, dead hands, but not everyone wants to live like that.

I don't use my food scale much anymore. When I make oatmeal I use a scant 1/3 cup or 40 grams+or- but before I used a food scale I was using a heaping 1/3 cup probably more like 70 grams. A heaping 1/3 cup of oatmeal has a lot of calories. Same with bananas, I always just used the medium-sized entry but much to my surprise they were extra large. Now I only buy medium-sized bananas when I see them. A food scale is a tool and I like accuracy.