Short woman Trying to meet calorie intake

Options
I’m a 5’1 128lb woman. I’ve always eaten greasy starches (pasta, potato chips etc.) and since I’ve been eating healthier I’m finding those foods make feel like garbage. But without them I’m not meeting my 1200 cal/day intake. An apple and pb is breakfast, but I need something that’s healthy for lunch that doesn’t include eggs or yogurt, pasta or rice. Sandwich meats are hard because the healthier ones are costly ( a single mom of 3). I’m looking for something from 300-500 calories. If anyone has some helpful ideas that would be fantastic.
Thank you :)

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I often make a salad with a sliced up veggie dog, a half cup of corn, cherry tomatoes, pickle, cucumber, hot pepper, something from the onion family (a couple of slices of onion, some scallions, shallot, etc), maybe other veggies in the fridge if I have them) and dress it with 1/4 cup salsa, 1 tbsp vegan sour cream, and 1 tbsp pickle relish.

Depending on the weight of the vegetables, it's going to come in around 300-350 calories. If you aren't vegetarian, I imagine tuna or some other protein would work well.

P.S. Pasta doesn't need to be greasy if you aren't using an oily sauce. You might have good results with marinara. Add some peas or beans (i.e. kidney, black, garbanzo, etc) for a complete protein and plenty of vegetables. It would work as a cold salad too.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some healthy fats and lean protein - beans and legumes if you are vegetarian, chicken, tuna or pork loin are good for carnivores. Just a small dollop of mayo, avocado, olive oil, nut butter (makes good Asian salad dressing) adds 100 calories. Try a salad or a stir fry - you don't mention what cooling and reheating facilities you have.

If you're cutting back on starchy foods, there are some excellent pasta alternatives made with chickpeas, lentils, and similar high protein foods. Or zoodles. Or spaghetti squash. And as Esther said, your sauce doesn't have to be unhealthy.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try soup. I have soup for lunch most days - every day at work. I take in canned soup, it’s healthy and nutritious, just be sure to read the label and avoid anything creamy or with los of sugars. I’m a vegan so usually opt for pea and barley or black bean.

A can of soup is about 300 calories, low cost, filling and easy.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I like to put Starkist Tuna Creations in Hot Buffalo on a salad with Greek yogurt buttermilk ranch. I also add some nutritional yeast and imitation bacon bits which comes out to 164 calories, 10 carbs, 3 fat and 25 protein. So, you can add extra heavier things to it to add to the calorie count, but there's already a ton of protein
  • michelleRKdavidson
    michelleRKdavidson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your likes and dislikes are when it comes to tastes but you could add in a granola bar or protein bar as a snack. I have found some Special K protein bars that are good. And I love the Kind brand bars. That will normally give you around 200-300 calories.
    And for lunch I love a homemade salad with chicken, ham, or even bacon bits as my protein. I find I can fill up on all the veggies and get some protein from the meats. I try to stay around 300 calories for my salads.
    Even adding some fruit salad (just a bowl of your favorite fruits cut up) would had some “good” calories.
    And one more thought...maybe even a protein shake. You get the calories and nutrition.