does anyone know how to get abs?

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No diet will give you abs... Simply hard work building muscle in the gym.

Don't listen to this advice.. this person is wrong. You can build all the muscle you want in the gym, but if you have a layer of fat over them they won't show.

From what I've heard and what I've doing, you need to have a pretty clean diet. Little sugar, carbs and processed food. Once you get that down and burn fat through cardio and building muscle, then the abs will show.

It comes down to having the abdominal muscle to show and having a low enough bodyfat percentage. Eating this and not that and killing yourself on the hamster wheel is not necessary for abs. I eat lots of junkfood and don't do cardio and I am getting close.

While that may work great for you, it's not going to work for everyone.

Some people it does take eating certain foods and hitting the gym and doing cardio. I know that I personally cut out bread except for 1 meal a day and my stomach is flatter then ever.. and I'm getting close too. Its about what works for your body.. not what one person thinks is best.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    sharpies work best.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    sharpies work best.

ahh yes...i do this regularly :-)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You need to use a skinner, open up your victims belly, then using a very sharp knife cut the tendons that connect the muscles to the bone.

yeah i like this idea...a lot easier than eating clean and working out....i bet Dexter could teach me a lot....hmmm
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    sharpies work best.

oh good idea...i only use sharpies to define my mustache and eyebrows...thanks for the tip!!
  • jandzsmom
    Options
    Recently read this quote:
    Abs are MADE in the gym, but REVEALED in the kitchen.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, you get abs by eating abs? When I go to my butcher what should I be asking for?
    Love and peace, God bless.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Doing a million crunches a day, situps, planks etc will not give you abs until the layer of fat is gone. So eating clean along with exercise to get rid of the fat...then abs will start to show.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this advice.. this person is wrong. You can build all the muscle you want in the gym, but if you have a layer of fat over them they won't show.

From what I've heard and what I've doing, you need to have a pretty clean diet. Little sugar, carbs and processed food. Once you get that down and burn fat through cardio and building muscle, then the abs will show.

It comes down to having the abdominal muscle to show and having a low enough bodyfat percentage. Eating this and not that and killing yourself on the hamster wheel is not necessary for abs. I eat lots of junkfood and don't do cardio and I am getting close.

Some people it does take eating certain foods and hitting the gym and doing cardio. I know that I personally cut out bread except for 1 meal a day and my stomach is flatter then ever.. and I'm getting close too. Its about what works for your body.. not what one person thinks is best.

I agree there may be a few exceptions but for the most part it will work for anyone. It's called 'If it fits your macros'.....meaning if your protein, fat, and carbs levels are where you need them, it doesn't matter where those said macro nutrients come from. There is no clean food or dirty food nor will sugar magically stop you from losing fat.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    sharpies work best.

oh good idea...i only use sharpies to define my mustache and eyebrows...thanks for the tip!!

Not enough people use sharpies to their full potential. Well done, you!
  • dad106
    Options

I agree there may be a few exceptions but for the most part it will work for anyone. It's called 'If it fits your macros'.....meaning if your protein, fat, and carbs levels are where you need them, it doesn't matter where those said macro nutrients come from. There is no clean food or dirty food nor will sugar magically stop you from losing fat.

Actually, I think it does matter where those macro nutrients come from. Food is not just food..it's not just about the protien and the fat and carbs and sugar. What about the other vitamins and minerals that come from fruits and vegetables? Your body needs those too.. and your sure as hell not getting them from ice cream and pizza.

It's just like the twinkle diet.. you can eat all the twinkles you want and still lose weight if its under your calorie goal, but its not going to do much good for your body.
  • 4theking
    Options

Actually, I think it does matter where those macro nutrients come from. Food is not just food..it's not just about the protien and the fat and carbs and sugar. What about the other vitamins and minerals that come from fruits and vegetables? Your body needs those too.. and your sure as hell not getting them from ice cream and pizza.

It's just like the twinkle diet.. you can eat all the twinkles you want and still lose weight if its under your calorie goal, but its not going to do much good for your body.

I thought we were talking about getting abs?
  • dad106
    Options

I thought we were talking about getting abs?

We were but then you added in the "if it fits in your macros" bit, which is what that comment/question was geared towards.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hey-so I met my original weight goal a year ago on MFP and since then I've been in hot pursuit of the secret to a 6 pack. Which means I've done A LOT of research. This is what i've learned and what I expect will help anyone (though honestly I only just figured this stuff out about a month ago and I haven't been able to put it into practice 100% yet myself so I can't guarnateee it'll work):

(1) maintain your low calorie eating- whatever your MFP thing is. This shouldn't change. For me, that means lots of cardio so I can continue to eat as much as I'm accustomed to (I eat my exercise calories...Plus running = hot legs!)
    (2) increase the INTENSITY of your exercises. Do High Intensity Interval Training 2-3 x's a week. This increases fat burning in your body. How? I don't know but it's true and if you do it all out for one week, you'll know it's true because I was running 50 miles a month and my first week doing HIIT running (5 mile runs with 5 one minute High Intensity Intervals) and my butt was WHOOPED- and I broke a plateau in my weight that first week and that new low weight (135!) never went away when I cut back on the intensity of my HIIT sessions (cuz i need to be awake after 6 pm sometimes, ya know?)
    (3) "abs are made in the kitchen" means eating cleaner for the most part. Lowering your sugar spikes in your diet- so less carbs, less refined sugars, no white breads/pastas. Some folks have said to just eat lower on the glycemic index. In my mind this has meant eating more salads, more low sugar fruits, less breads all around, less sweets all around. Zero bagels. Zero cookies, crackers, pretzels. I also lowered my carb percentage in my diet (so now it's only 30% carbs but I may have to lower it more)....and increase protein (I'm a vegetarian so i'm a bit jealous of meat eaters who can do low carb easily....but I think it can be done!)
    (4) Weights- from what i understand just doing weight machines at the gym two or three times a week isn't going to cut it. I say this because I religiously did weights for two years while in graduate school and i was 174 pounds of lard back then no matter how much i tried. That being said, I do believe weight training is really important to success in the ab department- building muscle raises your metabolism, it tones and strengthens. My thoughts on this are that instead of doing "weights" per se, doing something like Crossfit will cover both the weights and the HIIT and mix it up enough that your body never gets to "used to it" that it stops making a difference (I'm starting crossfit in the next month or so...so I can't completely vouch for it but I have seen other ladies do it too)

last but not least, we have genes. Damned genes. My family tends to have bellies and higher body fat percentage (my dad looks like he is 9 months pregnant)....but I still think it can be done!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its partly genetic.
    Some people will never have them visible.
    I had an x-ray done and I look very buff in the x-ray, its funny.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

NotSureifserious.jpg
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options

NotSureifserious.jpg

Hahahahaha! Love it!
  • 4theking
    Options
    Its partly genetic.

Some people will never have them visible because they have too much fat. It is a choice.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Its partly genetic.

Some people will never have them visible because they have too much fat. It is a choice.

^ This, This, and more This.

You are either in it 110% or you're not. Plain and simple.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Its partly genetic.

^ This, This, and more This.

You are either in it 110% or you're not. Plain and simple.

You serious? D:

Even if I did lose the fat around my belly (I already have nice abs underneath), I won't be able to see them? :(