size and weight

Options
why is a women who is 149 lbs in a size 10 and a women who is 148 in a size 7?

Replies

• ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    weight and size have no relationship :) i have a sister who ways 25lbs less than me and we wear the same pants, becasue her body is more "soft" than mine. Also she carries more weight in her stomach so this means she fits into the same size 8 pants as i. Body composition has a lot to do with it.

On a lighter note, so does how comfortable you want to be in your clothes. I have a dress in a size 5, i love it, can barley breath in it, and sitting is a task that can be done but only carefully, but i love being able to say "i fit into a size 5" ...lol
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Also, odd number sizes are "juniors" or girls/women with no hips. Even number sizes are "misses" for women with hips. The closet misses size would be an 8, which is only one size different than a 10. Finally, different brands size incredibly differently. I have a theorgy about this: the more you spend on clothes, the more generous they are in sizing. (They want you to feel great about fitting into a size 2, so you will spend $300 on a skirt). Of course, I have no objective data for this, it's just a thought.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bone structure is a big driver for size. I know with my bone structure, i will never be less than a 34" waist and the only way for me to go lower is lose bone density which would be bad. Some woman (and men) have wider hips than others which is a big driver.
  • francena84
    Options
    Im 158 and im a size 6 in old navy jeans and a 7/9 in juniors
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    when i was this same weight 3 years ago i could fit in 7's easily but now i can almost fit in 13's because my body has changed so much having my kids and i know have a flabby belly
  • Bone structure is a big driver for size. I know with my bone structure, i will never be less than a 34" waist and the only way for me to go lower is lose bone density which would be bad. Some woman (and men) have wider hips than others which is a big driver.

I have broad shoulders and a large ribcage which will prevent my top half from ever getting into a size 10 even when my bottom half does as I have narrow hips.
    I have freinds who are narrow shouldered with wide hips and they can fit into smaller dresses than me even if they weigh 14lb more due to the shape of the clothing and weight distribution.

We have to all learn to live with what we have been given and be happy with being healthy and fit, which is my aim.
  • Rhea81
    Rhea81 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That all depends on your height and how/where you carry your weight. A tall person verses a shorter person of the same weight will absolutly wear different sized clothes because of weight distribution differences. Also, muscle weighs more than fat. A person with a lot of muscle will look smaller but weigh more and vice versa. I'm 155 and currently in a size 10 but when I am actually in shape I still weigh closer to 145 but in a size 6 or 8.
  • sgriddler
    sgriddler Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have never understood the the obsession over the "size" so many variables make up the "size". But then i am male.
    Surely if something fits correctly and looks good on you, the size in the label is irrelevant ?
    Maybe i need educating :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I am 155 and I wear between a 6-8 now depending on brand and cut.

It's all about how your body is built.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I weigh less than my "smallest" friend yet she still looks teeny and wears a size smaller than me...
  • Rhea81
    Rhea81 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have never understood the the obsession over the "size" so many variables make up the "size". But then i am male.
    Surely if something fits correctly and looks good on you, the size in the label is irrelevant ?
    Maybe i need educating :)

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! Size is just a number!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Size is useless and it is silly to get hung up on the number. I am pear shaped and 5'7". As a rail thin teenager at 115 pounds, I was still a size 5-6 because all of my weight is in my hips/butt. I am currently 150 pounds and a size 10...I read of others my weight being a size 8 or 12...it makes no sense.
  • Sbmtx
    Sbmtx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with the bone structure comment. At my lowest adult weight, 160, while I was still soft you could see my hip and neck bones easily, kinda gross looking at some angles. My thighs carry a lot of my weight. At 160 I wore a size 12-13 jean. But my tops were S-M depending on style and brand.
  • danipher
    danipher Posts: 24
    Options
    thanks everyone... im having a hard time.. im beating myself up cuase im not losing anything on the scale.. but if you can tell by any of my pics i am i guess kinda narrow women more of an athletic build. I have a very solid body a lot of muscle. which i hate but i cant get rid of it.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would say the 2 are not related. Someone may be the same weight as another but one may be all muscle and the other all fat and that definitely has an impact on how your body looks. Also bone structure...some have small hips and some have wide hips affecting the pant size. I am 150 and depending on what I wear am a size 6-8 but I lift a lot of weight.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    build difference and manufacturer difference.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It depends on height and the build of the persons body. I'm 5'4", weighing 172, my mom is close to 5'8", weighs 10-15lbs more than me and we both fit in a size 14.
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like other people are saying, bone structure and body type (where the weight goes, how its distributed) play a big role, along with how much of that weight is muscle vs fat, and the whole every brand makes their sizes differently. I gained 50lbs and only went up one size, whereas a friend of mine lost 50lbs and went down a whole lot of sizes. I'm 5'8" and right now am around 180lbs and wear size 11 or 12 pants and large shirts, when I was 135lbs I wore size 9 or 10 pants and a medium shirt. I've got good child-bearing hips (as my mom says) and a big ribcage, so now matter how thin I was, I was never smaller than a size 9 or a medium.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thanks everyone... im having a hard time.. im beating myself up cuase im not losing anything on the scale.. but if you can tell by any of my pics i am i guess kinda narrow women more of an athletic build. I have a very solid body a lot of muscle. which i hate but i cant get rid of it.

why would you ever want to get rid of muscle... it's what keeps you a calorie burning machine and most men find it really attractive. Also to let you now, guys could care less if you are a size 4 or a size 10.... Just don't freak out over weight or size. BTW, I can barely tell the difference when my wife was a size 8 compared to today where she is a size 4.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    All of this...
    And then it also depends on the manufacturer. One size 8 dress can be smaller than another size 8 dress. There's a lot of leeway allowed in the measurements of women's clothing.