Tightness in leg while lunging

Options
Hello. So recently I've been trying to incorporate walking lunges into my leg day sets. When I step forward with my left leg, I have no problem lowering my right leg into a lunge. However, when I step forward with my right leg, I notice it is much harder for me to lower myself into a lunge and I often lose my balance or come back up awkwardly. I don't want to cause any injury to myself and was wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows how I can fix it? It feels as though I can't go as low when I step forward with my right leg, and I also want to do bulgarian split squats eventually but am worried I will have that same issue as with the walking lunges

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A couple things to try. Check that your right foot isn't landing too far to the left, which would throw your balance off. Also try this stretch for 30 seconds right before lunging: youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4
    Only stretch your left hip (right foot forward). Let us know if it helps. If not, try to post a video of your form. :+1:
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Attention to foot placement helped me - I practiced with split squats first to find the placement that worked for me and then I was more stable with lunges.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Attention to foot placement helped me - I practiced with split squats first to find the placement that worked for me and then I was more stable with lunges.

Split squats helped me with this as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Take smaller steps on your lunges. Lunges are short steps with deep knee bend more so than long steps.