Injuries ruining motivation

Options
For the last 3 years I have been dealing with Achilles tendons, burst bursa sacks in my knees, osteoarthritis, torn meniscus (inner & outer on right knee, chipped cartilage, with surgery) pulled hamstrings, now for the last 4 weeks a muscle strain. Im starting to lose my motivation to move forward on losing weight.
I'm going to Disney in July, and I want to heal and get back to walking. I will be starting slow, as to not injure myself.

Have you lost your motivation?
How did you get it back?

I dont know what to do, and no one here in my family gets it.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    What is the option to not getting back at it? Just hang it up and be unhealthy? Not something I'd choose. I've had 8 orthopedic surgeries and hospitalized for 7 days with sepsis in the last 7 years. Had to come back each time because I didn't like the other option.

You've got this. Best of luck.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    No advice, just a hug from a similarly-benched sister with a burst Baker's cyst. I'm trying to soldier on and keep up with my upper body work in the meantime. Can you use a stationary bike? I've got some hand weights I swing around while watching TV to keep from losing my tiny little mind.

Just keep tracking and tell yourself this too shall pass.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about the best way to get in "Disney" walking shape. As for weight loss, forget about the Calories Out and focus on the Calories In. Set small, doable goals and the weight will come off!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on this journey to get fit again for about 2 1/2 years. In that time I’ve torn my meniscus in my right knee, being on crutches for that aggravated my left knee which I declined surgery for 7 years prior with a partial MCL tear so it swelled and I spent several weeks unable to get around, developed tendinitis in my right shoulder, shin splits, and most recently a fractured knee which put me back on crutches for a few weeks. I feel your pain...literally. Each time though I follow the rehab program and work back up. What choice do I have? I enjoy my life more the more active I am.

When I was stuck in bed Iand couldn’t walk I looked up seated workouts to do with light hand weights.

When my shoulder first became a problem I took a break from lifting and started running again.

I ran too much too soon and developed shin splints so I eased back in to lifting while doing Pilates and hiking because those activities didn’t hurt.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I've had four tibial tubercle osteotomies over the course of 7ish years (the first two were done just before a bunch of research came out on how best to do them on people with my sort of anatomy) and two MPFL replacements. The last was five months ago - I also fractured my shoulder about 8 weeks ago the first day that I was allowed to bike outside.

Essentially my advice is to work with your doctors and a physical therapist and do your PT exercises with gusto. For me my main issue, in terms of motivation, was not being able to exercise, which is different than not having the motivation to work on losing weight. I do agree with the person who said that you should put recovering from your injuries before trying to lose weight. Not doing so could likely cause a worsening of the injuries you already have and/or slow your recovery.