Office Environment Obstacles

Options
I just started working in an office environment and I couldn’t believe the bad eating habits that are pressured on me from day to day. If it’s someone’s birthday, we all are supposed to bring cake, cookies, etc. If we are meeting over lunch, everyone goes in on pizza. The boss even sometimes offers to buy everyone blizzards from Dairy Queen, and I feel a little bad when I decline her nice offer—but at the same time, those blizzards are over 500 calories!
At this point, I am a little overwhelmed. I don’t have a problem telling people that I have goals and I try to eat healthy but I am honestly the only one and I can feel them judging me. I even had a friend tell me I was no fun anymore because I don’t want to order alcohol when we all go out for happy hour. Sometimes, I think the hardest part of dieting isn’t necessarily eating right; it’s the reaction you get when you aren’t fitting in with the work or social crowd. It seems like indulgence is socially acceptable and I am a leper for caring what I put in my body.

Replies

• See_Jenn_Run
    Options
    I hear that! It's so hard to avoid the treats. Just weather the storm and try to diffuse the situation with humor if you can! Eventually people will begin to accept that you just won't have that cake or that pizza or whatever!
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That's a tough crowd. Stick by your guns and indulge a little once in a while. Reconcile your caloric intake with additional exercise. That's what I did yesterday when someone brought timbits to a meeting. Ran 5km in 32 mins.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    aweee, I'm sowy....but don't feel bad, I was in the same position you were, and honestly, I don't give A Fu8k anymore what people are thinking or saying, cause I am looking DAMN HOTT! =D I just wore my first two piece bikini in 7 years, and that was such an amazing accomplishment, and I'm feeling great about myself, My dress pants might be a little baggy on me right now, but I said I'm not buying clothes till I reach my goal, and I'm gonna look AWESOME! So just politely say no thanks, or what not, but you continue to have a healthy lifestyle, because at the end you are gonna feel and look amazing all on your own! =D Keep it up girl, don't give in to temptation!! LOL
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I even had a friend tell me I was no fun anymore because I don’t want to order alcohol when we all go out for happy hour.
    Yep, I had a "friend" tell me this, as well. It really ticked me off. My true friends would understand.

But the office environment is tough. I had a senior manager think he was the bees knees by buying lunch for everyone. It never occurred to him that someone might prefer not to be bribed with food.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Are the people in your office all overweight? Just stick to your guns and don't give in (unless you want to treat yourself every once in a while). They're probably going to judge you no matter what (human nature), so just keep making it clear that you try to eat healthier. Unfortunately, people with bad habits usually don't like to practice them alone, and that goes for friends too. I've had friends be judgemental as well, when I try to suggest a girls night out at a restaurant where I can find something lower calorie. I've been called obsessed and instead of being encouraging, they say things like "don't overdo it at the gym" or "are you sure that diet is SAFE?".... Just keep focused on your own goals, and let them judge away!
  • madeanew
    madeanew Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Keep saying no and stick to your decision with pride. They will see the results of your work and you will have been a great role model for them
  • The_Chungs
    The_Chungs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your work environment sounds a lot like mine. I teach at a private school in Miami, Florida and you can't imagine all the delicious fattening food that is around on a daily basis. The cafeteria is all-you-can-eat and it's only $2 for teachers and the food is catered and delicious! Not to mention all the pastries, cookies, and cakes in the teacher's lounge on any given day. The caterer makes these giant warm cookies for every meeting (chocolate chip, m&m, sugar, and oatmeal) along with coffee and soda. I could go on and on and on about it.

You (and I) just have to remember that we can't succumb to the saboteurs! We want something more out of life than a slice of pizza or a Blizzard. We treat ourselves by being able to fit in a smaller size, running a little farther, working out a little harder, and enjoying our life in ways that don't involve food. It's really sad that that kind of environment is actually typical of American workplaces. We should be building each other up, making each other stronger, not fatter.

Stand strong! :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Another thought...what if you brought in fresh fruit next time its someone's birthday? Maybe you can turn it around and hope your healthier habits help motivate them to cut back on the junk!

Its difficult enough not to gain weight when you sit on your butt at a desk all day, but its a lot worse when there are temptations in your face all the time. Stay strong!
  • stelid
    stelid Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! I am glad that I am not alone in fighting these battles. Great, great advice.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Just remember if they ask you once, it's meant as a kind offer. If they force the subject then you need to say something. Just be polite and non-judgmental because once in a while you might want to have that treat with them.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I have the same problem! People always have negative comments when I say things are too unhealthy for me. It just means they're feeling insecure about their unhealthy habits! Stay strong!