Avocado recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I love avocado but hate using it sometimes because it goes bad so fast. Anyone have any ideas of keeping avocados fresh in salads and such?

Not in open air in salads. But I usually will only use 1/4 avocado at a time. I halve the avo, keep the pit in one half, stick it back together and wrap with saran wrap. It'll keep for the 4 days, I need it. It may get a little brown on the surface, but that's just visual. It also helps to pick the right avocado in the first place. Should feel like a perfect tomato, a light amount of even give all the way around the surface. You shouldn't be able to dent the avocado.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I use half at a time, keep other half with Pitt and skin of empty half, in a napkin in a bag. It will last a week. If the outer layer gets too brown, I scrape it off and use the bright green underneath.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Avocado soup : served at room temp. Pop an avocado and milk of your choice (I use unsweetened almond) in the blender, puree until smooth, then add very finely chopped red onion, salt and pepper to taste, serve with some herbs on top. It is a LOT more delicious than it sounds. Sometimes I throw in a dash of cooking sherry too.
  • pjsprov910
    pjsprov910 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cubed avocado in a bowl of tortilla soup is really yummy. Adds a bit of coolness to the spices in the soup.
  • dharma842
    dharma842 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For a Keto style delish salad mash an avo with lemon, salt pepper chilli flakes garlic what ever you like, and add a can of flaked tuna! Good hot or cold. Feeling fancy then add some cottage cheese or herbs, chopped cucumber or pepper or onion would be good too
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Blend with yogurt and chili powder to taste, or favorite green herbs. Can be used as a dip, salad dressing, sauce, spread, etc.
  • Mindcook
    Mindcook Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Put the avocados in the fridge as they get softer and you will be able to use them later (before cutting them, of course).
    Sometimes I make this for lunch on weekends: the filling is seafood (sautéed shrimp here) topped with julienned celery root and minimally dressed with lime juice and EVOO. You can use crabmeat as filling and jicama on top, etc.
    lrh5ngbx2sc5.jpg
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Mindcook wrote: »
    Put the avocados in the fridge as they get softer and you will be able to use them later (before cutting them, of course).
    Sometimes I make this for lunch on weekends: the filling is seafood (sautéed shrimp here) topped with julienned celery root and minimally dressed with lime juice and EVOO. You can use crabmeat as filling and jicama on top, etc.
    lrh5ngbx2sc5.jpg

OMG that is beautiful!