Keeping in Shape while Pregnant

Options
I recently found out I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am currently a group fitness instructor and work a normal 9-5 desk job. I am trying to have a healthy pregnancy with the recommended 20 lb weight gain since I am already high on the bmi chart.

Any advice about how many calories i should be eating? I do know that i need an additional 300 calories in my third trimester.
or
Any advice about keeping my energy up for my workouts?

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I could maintain my exercise level if I was already doing it. I just shouldn't add exercise. I remember one of my instructor taught an exercise class right up til her water broke. Just use common sense. I have no idea about the calories.

CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Talk to your OBGYN, new guidelines actually show if you are already high ont he BMI chart you may not need to gain even 20 lbs.

Also as long as you are already participating ina workout regimine the standards are to maintain it, not increase it, and modifications usually dont need to be made until you are showing, ab workouts are discouraged though.

You should switch to maintenance calories, not weight loss calories.

As far as energy, that is ALL up to baby, but most tend to still enjoy their workouts, it still releases endorphines
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog (and the author's pregnancy journey). Lots of helpful hints about staying fit while pregnant!

www.dailygarnish.com
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!! I am 11 weeks pregnant and my Dr said that my goal is to gain no more than 15lbs, If i gained none she would be perfectly happy with that. I eat 300 more calories than normal so its 1500 and i was told any excersise besides contact sports are perfectly fine to do! Good luck with having a healthy pregnancy and baby!
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!! I am 11 weeks pregnant and my Dr said that my goal is to gain no more than 15lbs, If i gained none she would be perfectly happy with that. I eat 300 more calories than normal so its 1500 and i was told any excersise besides contact sports are perfectly fine to do! Good luck with having a healthy pregnancy and baby!

congrats i'm 11 weeks today and same no more than 15 wanted... but im aiming for 11 or so
  • ryandarby
    Options
    I've seen quite a few pregnant women at the gym. In fact I've actually checked out a few women and when they turn around I'm like "holy **** there's a baby in her". I think keeping up with your workout while your pregnant would be good for both you and your baby IF your doctor approves of it. I'd even imagine that if you were doing yoga or pilates it would be soothing for the baby because you'd be relaxed and it might even help during child birth. however I might just be talking out of my *kitten*. but if I were a baby I'd like the extra blood flow from cardio, just don't run on a treadmill, I hate those things.
  • catatheart
    Options
    first of all- congrats! :D

secondly, i was told to try to gain between 15 and 20 through my pregnancy, so i will be keeping an eye on this topic for ideas as well.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I've seen quite a few pregnant women at the gym. In fact I've actually checked out a few women and when they turn around I'm like "holy **** there's a baby in her". I think keeping up with your workout while your pregnant would be good for both you and your baby IF your doctor approves of it. I'd even imagine that if you were doing yoga or pilates it would be soothing for the baby because you'd be relaxed and it might even help during child birth. however I might just be talking out of my *kitten*. but if I were a baby I'd like the extra blood flow from cardio, just don't run on a treadmill, I hate those things.

for "talking out you a**" you are actually incredibly correct. Some yoga and pilates positions have to be modified for pregnancy but it does help in labor too.
  • laurenpence
    Options
    my 1st pregnancy I ate whatever I wanted and was already overweight. i should have lost weight while pregnant since I was over weight but I ended up putting 40lbs on my already 180lb body.....not good at all. I had complications to the point of being bed ridden for 7 weeks of my pregnancy. So After my first child I was determined to get healthy and I did getting down to 17% body fat 140lbs on my 5'7'' frame. I got pregnant my 2nd time and continued to run. I ran a 5k when I was 4 months prego and a 10k when I was 7 months pregnant. At 34 weeks the doc said to stop running just because I was starting to dialate. What did I do......i walked about 5 miles a day to keep my fitness. I also lifted weights (not heavy ones) I put on 25lbs and delivered my baby girl at 38 weeks and she weighed the same amount as my first child even though i gained less weight. The doc said I needed 200 extra calories a day the 1st and 2nd trimester and for the 3rd 300 calories. I ate very healthy but when I had a craving I indulged...I mean why not...I was pregnant. So what ever your fitness level now keep at it.....you will have to change it as your belly grows but exercising and eating healthy is very important when your pregnant (and when your not). You can do this, and just remember that the more fit and healthy you are during the prgnancy the easier it is to get back into shape after the baby is born!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep up your exercise routine. I was pregnant over 20 years ago, but went to the gym every day, including the day I went into labor. I ended up having a very difficult labor and delivery, but the delivery nurse said that it was because I was so fit that I made it through and the end result was a healthy baby and Mom. Congrats and I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy. Personally, I loved being pregnant.