Surprised at unhealthy Subway!

Options
2»

Replies

• iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For the same calories and sodium, you could have had a large bowl of PHO.

I love Pho! We make 'faux pho' at home a lot!
  • mbeatty10
    mbeatty10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You made the right choice of restaurants but a poor menu selection. Ham is the main culprit. They have many very healthy selection and like you I eat there often
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's really surprising sometimes when you look at the calories you're actually consuming when you buy something 'healthy'.

Not just Subway, but I have been shocked to find out the calories in certain salads.

I hear you on the chips. We used to always buy the wholegrain tortillas too, thinking they were healthy, when I actually stopped to read the number of calories, I was totally shocked!!

Maybe next time, just pack your own sandwich and bring an apple instead of chips.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why did you get a bag of chips if you were expecting a healthy meal?
  • Midnightsun04
    Options
    Looking more closely I think I diary entry I put in was for a footlong (1 sandwich) not a 6'. After adjusting to the 6', the calories seemed a lot more realistic!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've gotten food poisoning TWICE from Subway (2 different locations). I'll never go there again. It's not just their meats or breads, it's the vegetables, too. No matter what Subway I've been to, their veggies are wilted, the lettuce is brown, and they don't keep their stuff at the right temperatures. Not to mention their habit of re-using the same knife to cut every single sub without washing/wiping it, ugh.

Boar's Head brand of lunchmeat has significantly less sodium in their lunch meats, and are even gluten free, I believe. Their meats and cheese taste really good. A local deli in my town only uses Boar's Head, and depending on where you live, certain grocery stores might carry it and make subs. I live in Florida, and I LOVE Publix subs. Their half subs are way bigger and more filling than Subway, taste a trillion times better, and even my beloved Cuban sub is healthier than most other subs at Subway.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat at Subway almost every day, and sometimes twice a day. For breakfast I usually get the western egg & cheese on a light muffin with ham, egg whites, american cheese, extra onions, extra green peppers & honey mustard. It's aout 180 caories. For lunch I typically have a chicken breast salad with veggies, light Italian dressing & croutons whcih is around 350 calories. My other lunch option is a 6" roasted chicken breast sandwich with veggies, no cheese, light mayo & mustard which is 380 calories. I LOVE their seafood sensation, but stay away from it because it is very high in calories. I used to get tuna until I found out it is the ONLY thing on the menu they actualy use real/high calorie mayo in. Ask for a nutrition guide. That should help you make good choices. Keep driving by those other fast food places! :) Shelli
  • xcirce
    xcirce Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ahem.
    I don't eat meat but I don't like many veggies so I get a simple 6" am/prov cheese sub with lettuce, tomato, and mayo on italian bread. I add all the components separately in my diary & make it a meal for easy access.
    I end up with:
    Calories: 215
    Carbs: 21
    Fat: 11
    Sodium: 376

This is by far a reasonable amount of everything in my opinion. I'm also a very simple eater.
    I usually add a bag of the Light Lays chips for only 75 calories, no fat, and 200 sodium.
  • that_jen_r
    Options
    I eat Subway almost daily while working during the week and I find I can get a great sandwich for under 300 calories. The bag of Sun Chips is over 200 calories just in one shot.

Subway isn't unhealthy but they definitely have choices that can be unhealthy.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's still fast food. Compare it to pretty much ANY other fast food, and it's still better on sodium and calories, depending on what you get. The "healthy" thing to get at Wendy's is a grilled chicken sandwich... with 1,100+ grams of sodium. Compare that to 800-something grams in a 6-inch sub, and you're making a much better decision.
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthily at Subway, but you have to avoid the processed meats, processed cheese, dressings and bread.

Otherwise, it's just like injecting salt into your veins.

Er...uh...no disrespect, but if you avoid meat, cheese, dressing and bread at Subway...what DO you eat there?
    Just wondering.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can get a foot long ham on wheat bread with all the veggies with less than 600 calories at subway. Stay away from the cheese, mayo, and oils. I usually get mine with mustard and salt and pepper. Just because they promote themselves as being the healthier option doesn't mean they don't offer things that can sabotage your diet. Just like any other fast food place you have to consciously make the healthy choices yourself. They are not some magical place where in all their food automatically makes you lose weight, even if it seems that way in their advertising.