for cyclists: hill climb calories math equation

Options
Hi all,

I need a burn estimate for a steep climb I rode today, (Sleeping Indian - Oceanside, CA).

I know the best answer to this is "wear a Heart Rate Monitor", but I didn't. I know the second best answer is "do the math", but I can't remember how to figure the inverse cosign, so I am asking you :tongue:

I don't know the exact grade for the Indian, but my friend estimated it at 17%, similar to Double Peak in San Marcos, but without switchbacks; it's straight up until just near the top, one turn. It's about a mile up and appx. 4k feet.

I am 130 lbs., and the climb took 14 minutes.

Estimates, anyone?

thanks so much!

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    So you need the inverse cos of what? I'm a math major ;)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    So you need the inverse cos of what? I'm a math major ;)

Thx, so I want to figure the grade of the climb -- 1 mile up, straight, 4000 feet. (I think I need inverse cosign for that??? I was NOT a math major just for this reason) tee hee.

Then, given it took 14 minutes to climb it, can we estimate the calories? (See how I suck at math??)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    So, the grade of the slope is 14?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    OK, info I found online:

"Road goes right into a 9 percent climb and tops out at 21 percent"

So if it's 1 mile, and it took 14 minutes, can anyone estimate calories?
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Ok, I think the formula you need is the tangent inverse of the percentage of the slope/100. Does that sound right?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    So, the grade of the slope is 14?

no, it took 14 minutes to climb it. But my math grade is D. ha! I don't know the grade. My friend estimated the avg grade to be 17% based on her experience. Here is the only thing I found online regarding the grade:

Road goes right into a 9 percent climb and tops out at 21 percent.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Ok, I think the formula you need is the tangent inverse of the percentage of the slope/100. Does that sound right?

I have no idea! do you think I have enough information to estimate calories burned, or is it hopeless?
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't know. . . there's some missing piece of information here.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Why can't you just use a calorie calculator for rock climbing?
  • dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    OMG. You're making my head hurt. Math late at night is "teh failz." LOL.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Ha ha ok! Thanks for trying anyway!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If all else fails, you can plug your weight and the 14 minutes into here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
    And pick something like Bicycling - 16-19 mph (very vigorous)

That will at least get you a ballpark. Perhaps even enter something like 20 minutes instead of 14 to compensate for the fact that it was a serious climb.

Then cross-reference it with your intuition and call it a day. :)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need cyclists for this... I think you should have called for Will Hunting...
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I did actually use vigorous cycling to get a calorie estimate, but it's really SO much harder, so I was hoping to see if anyone has an idea. HR on that climb was INSANE. I wish I was wearing the HRM. oh well. next time.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I don't think you need cyclists for this... I think you should have called for Will Hunting...

yes!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Math is *SQUIRREL!*
  • rc12345
    rc12345 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am interested as well. When I bike it's normally on hills and I usually have my 30 pound son in his seat on the back of my bike (he sings when we go down hill and "broom, brooms" when we are climbing a hill. lol). I usually just add an extra 50 calories to my burn total because I am not sure what to add. :)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options

Yeah, this is advanced for me. I would need to write a mathematical model which is like phd level stuff I think!