Thyroid-iodine?

Options
Hi I have a question. I have read once that a diet low in seafood can cause the thyroid to be sluggish. I was wondering if it's possible that since I eat a diet low in seafood and I don't use any iodized salt and avoid it as much as I can (only Himalayan salt and the bottle says it provides no iodine) could this be a cause of sluggish thyroid from low iodine? I mostly eat vegetarian and I do like fish but I am just very picky and only like wild caught fish and I only like shellfish (clams, mussels, shrimp, crab) but sometimes they aren't always affordable. I have shrimp and mussels like once a week but is it still a source of iodine? I do feel better after eating it. How many times a week should you eat fish?Thanks so much! I do like opah fish and tuna but I read it has alot of mercury and I have always notice stomach pains afterwards.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    See your dr. For a while, I had to add iodized salt to my food. But you don't want to play around with this.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why do you avoid iodized salt?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eat potatoes and cranberries but I really think you are just over thinking it.

Your Dr can test your thyroid if you are concerned.
  • misslibralove
    misslibralove Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mostly Water I do notice that sometimes when I do eat foods with regular salt I'll feel better but other times I could instantly feel my thyroid going too fast and trouble sleeping, blood pressure feels raised, etc. I did have seaweed some days did help. I'm seeing a doctor soon so I hope I'll get some answers, I'm just trying to figure out the perfect balance
  • misslibralove
    Options

I avoid it because I heard about Celtic sea salt, Himalayan salt and sea salt are much better for you cause they are natural and how iodized salt is not very good and can raise blood pressure, etc.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs, milk, cheese?

You can also sprinkle some dulse, kelp, kombu on your meals. They taste good in soups.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I avoid it because I heard about Celtic sea salt, Himalayan salt and sea salt are much better for you cause they are natural and how iodized salt is not very good and can raise blood pressure, etc.

Salt is salt. The people telling you that certain salts are better are either misguided or in the business of selling you fancy salts. If you are someone who is prone to hypertension (high blood pressure) due to salt consumption, *any salt* will do it, even if it's fancy and pink.

If iodine is a concern for you, don't be afraid of iodized salt. That's exactly why they put iodine in it -- to ensure people are getting what they need of this crucial mineral that can sometimes be lacking in our diets.
  • misslibralove
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Do you eat eggs, milk, cheese?

You can also sprinkle some dulse, kelp, kombu on your meals. They taste good in soups.

I do eat cheese sometimes but I don't drink milk I just drink coconut milk. I don't eat much eggs maybe once in a while. I will try to eat eggs like once a week for breakfast. Thanks so much I'll try that maybe I can add some to salads and once I had seaweed sprinkles on popcorn was good
  • misslibralove
    Options

Salt is salt. The people telling you that certain salts are better are either misguided or in the business of selling you fancy salts. If you are someone who is prone to hypertension (high blood pressure) due to salt consumption, *any salt* will do it, even if it's fancy and pink.

If iodine is a concern for you, don't be afraid of iodized salt. That's exactly why they put iodine in it -- to ensure people are getting what they need of this crucial mineral that can sometimes be lacking in our diets.

Thanks I think I'll have some iodized salt sometimes but I'll just use tiny amount for now. I think I'll have the doctor test the levels just to be on the safe side too