oatmeal recipes

Options
2baninja
2baninja Posts: 511 Member
I've tried eating Oatmeal a few times, I can never get past the consistency, anyone have any thoughts? Did you have the same problem and figure out how to like it? I'd really like to add it into my diet, but I just can't get past the feeling that I'm eating snot, sorry.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal either, and it doesn't keep me full long. The only thing I really use oats in is protein pancakes (blended up with egg whites and protein powder) - they're tasty!
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Have you tried adding more water?

I make porridge from brown rice. Bob's Red Mill is the brand. The consistency is more like applesauce. You can also make a porridge from corn or buckwheat, as well as a few other grains.
  • 2baninja
    Options
    I've only every tried with milk, I haven't tried adding more then what they suggest, I was given a small bag of, I think Red Mill, so I thought I'd give it another try, but this time I'm asking for ideas, instead of trying it once and getting rid the rest....
  • 2baninja
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal either, and it doesn't keep me full long. The only thing I really use oats in is protein pancakes (blended up with egg whites and protein powder) - they're tasty!

I should give this a try, but can I use the whole egg? I hate the thought of throwing out the best (I think) part.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I use less water than recommended cause I like mine thicker than grits.

My mom likes hers like soup

Also I find steel cut to be more....slimy? Whereas quick oats are more textured but perhaps in doing the steel cuts wrong.

Also a giant scoop of peanut makes them super tasty
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I like overnight oats made with yogurt and oatmeal and sometimes some berries and cinnamon mixed in.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I should give this a try, but can I use the whole egg? I hate the thought of throwing out the best (I think) part.

Definitely.... I love whole eggs too, but prefer using other things for fat with my pancakes (like butter or PB)
  • 2baninja
    Options
    cool, thanks
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I find quick cooking oats in the microwave to give me the texture I like best. If I want sweet oats, I usually apple butter or apple jelly with cinnamon and follow the instructions on the box for how much water to use.
    Have you ever tried savory oats? Use a little less water maybe 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup and then melt some cheese on top of it with salt and pepper. American cheese in oats reminds me a little of Mac and cheese.
    That said, no need to eat oatmeal if you don't like it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating Oatmeal a few times, I can never get past the consistency, anyone have any thoughts? Did you have the same problem and figure out how to like it? I'd really like to add it into my diet, but I just can't get past the feeling that I'm eating snot, sorry.

Preparation method matters. I'm going to wildly guess that you used a microwave oven to prepare your oatmeal. That's the snotogenic method.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    for warm oatmeal, i usually mix some with egg whites and protein powder and microwave at 30 second intervals stirring each time, then top with some peanut butter

for cold, i'll do the overnight oats mixed with protein powder, milk and chia seeds then topped again with some peanut butter or protein cookie dough :)
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like using oats to make cookies, protein banana bread, pancakes or waffles..
  • nikkichenlife
    nikkichenlife Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite:

Oatmeal Fruity Smoothie

4 tbsp quick cooking oatmeal
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    200 ml yogurt
    Fruits (I usually use the combination of raspberry, strawberry, banana, and kiwi. If you use avocado then add chocolate chunks)
    Some ic

Blend for a tasty and healthy breakfast smoothie.

My mom likes to boil the oatmeal with water, season with sweet soy sauce and salt, and eat it with fried egg and rotisserie chicken, but I find it not to my taste. To me, oatmeal is best combined with fruits.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like the consistency of steel cut oats much better than either type of rolled oats. These are a bit like chewy little buds.....you can cook them more or less to suit your taste. Overcooked you will have the same "gluey-ness" of rolled oats.

Instant rolled oats have the texture of baby food . Old fashioned oats (5 minute oats) are a bit better; at least they still retain some texture.

Grinding instant oats will give you an oat flour. Nice for banana bread or cookies.
  • Jennymarie57
    Jennymarie57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been grinding mine to a powder using a coffee bean grinder and add to smoothies...I do the same with flaxseed
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I agree with @TeaBea. I prefer steel cut oats. I cook mine in a rice cooker or the instant pot. I cook them with chopped apples, dried cranberries, walnuts and cinnamon. The walnuts help me stay full longer than if I leave them out. I make a large batch, portion it out into a mini loaf pan and freeze it. Then, I can heat it up in the microwave for one minute and breakfast is done on busy mornings.
  • knoxy550
    knoxy550 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Lidl luxury oats with semi-skimmed milk put into microwave for 2m 20sec add cinnamon and either blueberries, kiwi, strawberries and sometimes a shake of milled seeds (again from LIdl). Just make sure the bowl is deep enough and stir immediately when you lift out of microwave.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Another vote for steel cut oats here! I think they have a better texture than rolled oats.
  • 2baninja
    Options
    I'm not sure what this bag is that I've got, it's Bobs Red Mill, it was a bag from Runners Magazine. I'll try some of these idea's and see how they work.
    Thank you all for the ideas.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yeah, steel cut oats are great, crunchy and satisfying