Cooking Salmon First time

Options
Anyone have a great recipe for salmon. Want to make for the fam. Some of my kids are picky eaters. What would be sure hit. Thanks!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like mine pan seared in a coating of olive oil and sometimes cover with Siamese seeds. I also like some wasabi paste on the side. I always keep some frozen fillets as a go to dinner.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My latest favorite (these are about 6-7oz fillets with skin) in cast iron (what I have) or non stick skillet put heat at med-high and melt 2-3T butter. When melted place salted and peppered fillets scale side UP. Cook about 7-10 minutes. Flip to scales side down. Sometimes I cover and turn heat off while I do other stuff ..keeps cooking in cast iron. Other times I leave heat on for about five more minutes until done to how we like. Crispy on outside soft tender juicy inside!
  • misslibralove
    misslibralove Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I melt 1/2 tbs or grass-fed butter add it to a bowl with chopped dill and/or thyme, oregano, or even 1/2 tbs of pesto, juice of one lemon, salt, pepper mix it up and coat the salmon then broil it. I then add a lemon slice on top close to the end of cooking it. The more lemon the better lol I'm so picky with salmon. But if it's real fresh caught wild Alaskan salmon I don't really need all the seasonings just salt and pepper it's so darn good lol
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Making this this week for my wife. It's one of her favorites though we eat dairy free. I'll use Vegan Butter and likely Coconut Condensed Milk for the cream.

http://www.cookeatdelicious.com/gluten-free-recipes/the-cheesecake-factorys-miso-salmon-recipe.html

I'll also lighten it up a bit as this one (as is) is ridiculously high in calories but oh so good.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My personal favorite is to do the cedar plank salmon on the grill, with Teriyaki and Ginger seasoning.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Way overthinking it, guys. Season with lemon pepper. Pan fry in butter (don't be stingy) about 3-4 minutes max each side until cooked through to 145. Serve. Takes about 10 minutes!

(Pink salmon will stay pink so temperature check important. Fish should also be a bit flaky, and not have raw fish texture.)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I prefer to keep it simple, as @kenyonhaff noted: lemon pepper and salt to season and pan sear in butter. Lemon juice and/or fresh lemon slices for serving.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Dill. Put dill on it. If you have the extra calories, mix the dill with mayo and lemon juice and then spread it on the salmon about 2 minutes before it’s done (I grill mine, but assume it would be the same in the oven. Might not work as well in a skillet)
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Good salmon (fresh, never frozen) need only a dash of salt and pepper. I love it broiled but I tend to smoke the house out. LOL so last time I wrapped in foil and cooked at 400 for about 20 minutes
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Fillet skin side down in the over at 425F for 15 minutes. Done.
    Serve with spicy avocado, mango salsa and roasted sweet potato fries.

For the little ones I would make sure sweet chilli dipping sauce is available, tastes great with salmon & sweet potato fries!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I love salmon and simply like to pan fry it until the skin is crisp and season it w/salt, pepper, nutmeg (which cuts the fishy odor) and lemon.

However, if your picky children don't like the strong fishy smell that salmon (and other oily fish) give off, you may want to do a test run before wasting a lot of salmon (which is not cheap) on them.

The best way to prepare salmon w/o the strong odor is to poach it (skinless) and then cover it w/a sauce, like hollandaise, which is delicious (given all the butter) but difficult for many to prepare. However, there are many other sauces that are easier (and less calorie heavy) to prepare you could try instead. Just use Google to find a wide selection.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Season, then 20 minutes in the oven at 350.
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Grated parm cheese and Italian seasoning...8 -10 minutes in the air fryer with just a bit of spray olive oil.

Amazing!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the pan. A smear of olive oil.
    Hot pan, skin down for 4 minutes.
    Turn over for 4 minutes.
    Turn back to skin down for 3-4 minutes.

I usually have some mushroom, cut cherry tomatoes, spinach and onion sautéed in the pan while it cooks. Maybe some asparagus.

Great on its own. Or with salt and pepper. Or with a little Dijon mustard.
  • rjdubock0609
    rjdubock0609 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wrap in foil (leaving a little room inside the parcel for air to circulate) and bake at 180c for 20 mins - no need for oil or butter. If you're feeling fancy, add lemon juice and capers to the parcel.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like my salmon simply baked. With a lemon butter sauce if I have the calories. Lemon, with or without butter, goes well with any fish, really.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    lmbecker12 wrote: »
    Grated parm cheese and Italian seasoning...8 -10 minutes in the air fryer with just a bit of spray olive oil.

Amazing!

I’m curious about these air fryers! Is it a bulky kitchen gadget? Do I need one? I already have a pressure cooker
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Marinate in lemon juice, olive oil, and rosemary then toss on the grill. Simple, quick, and delicious. Just don't overcook it, that's the biggest killer of most fish. I have no idea if your kids would like it, though.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm one of the simple mindset. mince a clove of garlic and soften it in a cast-iron pan over low heat with a bit of butter, then just lay the salmon on top of it. my salmon filets are all frozen, so i put the lid on the pan and let it steam itself done while i'm cooking pasta. i think cheese and salmon together is weird so i don't give it the full alfredo treatment, but i do really like to toss the flaked fish with fettuccini once it's done.

lemon pepper never did mine any harm either.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fish is not my fave and it took a while for me to get the hang of it. My duh moment is that fish is far more tender than steak so cook only until done (it will flake easily).