What is your favourite Mexican/TexMex recipe?

Options
Angellore
Angellore Posts: 519 Member
I love Mexican food, but my husband doesn't. At the moment the only 'mexican' style dish I make and eat is Taco Salad as it's easy to do for one. But i'm planning on either making and freezing portions or finding more single serve recipes. So, what is your favourite 'Mexican' style recipe? I say style because I know that most of what we call Mexican isn't really authentic!

Replies

• estevo66
    estevo66 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love to eat huevos rancheros. Eggs over easy on top of corn tortillas and top off with salsa, or pico de gallo.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just made Hungry Girl's Whole Enchilada Chicken Soup on Tuesday. I LOVED it!! (Actually having leftovers for lunch today!) A 1-cup serving was only 105 calories.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I learned to cook Mexican from a woman from Mexico. I make my own tortillas, salsas, etc. Here are a couple of dishes that I make for our family.

Chile Rellenos and yes they ARE healthy.
    Stuff 8 poblano peppers with chopped shrimp, roasted corn, black beans, reduced fat cheese and lime juice. This mixture is also AMAZING on a salad. Roast on a grill or in the oven.

Tomatillo Pork
    Roast some tomatillos and garlic. Peel and puree. Put on top of pork tenderloin. This is great with whole grain rice or on a sandwich.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I like quesadillas. I do veggie ones a lot..mushroom or spinach.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Seriously? How can you NOT like mexican food?
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I do quesadillas, brown rice and beans (black beans are my favorite), and burritos. All three are easy to make and delicious. Burritos in particular are a great family meal since everyone can make the burritos to their liking using ground meat (I do veggie crumbles sometimes in mine if I want "meat" in my burrito since I am a vegetarian), beans, veggies, cheese, salsa, etc.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Those ideas are great for single-serving, but for freezer ideas I love enchiladas! By using shredded chicken breast or lean ground beef and making a smart choice on which sauce you use, you can make them healthy! Go easy on the cheese and/or use mozzarella, choose the healthiest canned sauce (or make your own) and corn tortillas which are usually about 50 calories each.
    A great way to cut back the carbs and up the protein easily is to make a stacked, instead of rolled, enchilada. I use a lot less tortilla that way. Also, add tons of veggies like sautéed or grilled mushroom, onions, peppers, etc. These freeze great!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Seriously? How can you NOT like mexican food?

I fully agree! He can't stand anything spicy! When I first met him he wouldn't even eat onions! He liked bland. Luckily he eats onions now (if he didn't he wouldn't get fed!)
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    bump
  • mrsbrown2k1
    Options
    my husband won't touch Mexican food whats so ever either. Can't stand spices. He's from canada and he grew up on very bland foods. One time in Toronto I asked for some Salsa to go with my meal and the waitress looked at me like I had 3 heads. She had no clue what salsa was. She brought me Tabasco sauce and thought it was the same. LOL My husband told me they don't have many mexican meals or restaurants in Tononto. He didn't know what salsa was either until I explained to him what it was and all about Mexican food.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy answer: Rotel Mac & Cheese
    1 box Barilla Medium Pasta Shells (whole wheat of course)
    1 box Velveeta (or store brand, I use nice n' cheesy)
    1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilis, drained
    1 small can diced green chilis

Cook pasta shells. Cut cheese into cubes and melt in microwave. When pasta is cooked, drain pasta, place back into pot and stir in cheese, rotel, and green chilis. YUM!! Beware this is ridiculously cheesy but super yummy. I only make it on occasion for potluck parties at a friends house.

Healthy Answer: Chicken Fajitas
    Diced Chicken
    Variety of Veggies cut into strips(green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and green chilies, onions, and tomatoes are what I typically use)

Dice the chicken and cook until it starts to brown. Add in strips of veggies and cook throughly. While cooking add whatever spices you have on hand (paprika, cayenne, red pepper flakes, etc)
    Wrap in whole wheat, low fat tortilla with a bit of cheese, sour cream and refried beans (all optional).
    I also throw the peppers and chilis in the oven on broil until the skins are black. Once all sides are black, I place them in an ice bath to cool them down enough for me to peel off the skin and then cut them into strips. If you have a gas stove, you can blacken them over the flames on the stove. They are super filling as well.