Thoughts on a fitbit

Options
leigha134
leigha134 Posts: 3 Member
How do you feel about a fitbit/activity tracker? Do you feel it help you or do you find its just become a costly accessory?

Replies

• amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just graduated to the Apple watch and loved the fitbit as well. I like the extra accountability and knowing where i am exercise wise.
  • MrSmooth2017
    MrSmooth2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting a fitbit, but though for that price might as well go all in and get an apple watch. I thought it would be a waste of money, but its only when you start to use it you realise how good it actually is. Wouldn't be without it now. If you have an iphone then its a no brainer. Its kept me motivated, its logged everything i needed to, and its far more useful than you would think.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I really like my fitbit. Its boosts me to get a couple of extra 1000 steps, and the sleep analysis is excellent. It tells not only the time of sleep, but it registrer the different sleep phases as well from the night. It helps me stay aware of my sleep, and getting enough. I work nightshifts, and following my sleep is really important
  • Enji_J
    Enji_J Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First off, I think you should ask yourself what it is you really want. Do you want to accurately track you heart rate, distance, pace etc while running, swimming, weight lifting, rowing, etc? Do you want GPS? Do you want something that stores music? Do you want something that will offer reminders or allow you to read notifications? Once you narrow in on the key, *must have* items, you can more easily pick either a smart watch or fitness tracker that best suits you. I'd recommend watching plenty of reviews and comparisons on youtube to decide what's right for you.

That being said, I've got the fitbit charge 2. I really like it for tracking my stats such as heart rate, distance, pace, calories, etc. It's pretty darn reliable. I had a bit of an issue getting a steady heart rate while running but it turned out I had it improperly placed. While running they recommend 2 finger-widths above the wrist bone. Since I've corrected that, I've had no real issues. I used to have the Samsung Gear S2 and that thing (in my opinion) was crap. Constantly jumped around, buggy software, would constantly freeze up, eventually the band snapped within 6 months of use, and in the end it stopped working altogether. My only qualm with the charge 2 is that it is not waterproof so I can't track swimming (it is splash and rain resistant though) and it does not work with alternate HRMs (like chest straps). Keep in mind it doesn't have built-in GPS but it does have GPS tethering. So as long as you have your phone with you when you run, you get some dang accurate GPS maps and stats of your run and time spent in various heart rate zones, etc.

Since my bad luck with the Gear S2, I decided to keep it simple and buy something that does a few things very well, rather than many things very poorly. Pairing the tracker with the fitbit app to get my daily and weekly summaries is motivating. Having that feed into MFP makes it simple. Lastly, I love the motivating animations and cheers you get when you hit your goals. I completely forget about them and then I finish a run and I see "BOOM" with a rocket ship taking off. It's not for everyone, but ask yourself what it is you really want. Watch plenty of reviews. And when you've finally decided, watch more reviews from different people. Get a comprehensive sense of these products and make your pick. When you do, you should be satisfied knowing you've purchased something that's right for you.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Check out the new Fitbit versa. It gets released Monday. I preordered it and am waiting for it to come. It's waterproof and it's a watch rather than a band. Comes in some cool colors too of you want to spend $30 extra to get them. Regular colors are only $199.95, not much more than the charge 2.

I like having a tracker. If nothing else it's motivating and I like information.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit several years ago, and have had one since. Only, the one I had just pooped out on me (1 too many times through the washing machine). I ordered a new one - a Fitbit Versa - and it’s supposed to be here in about 1-2 weeks now. My husband has had about 4 different bands - 1 was a Fitbit, 1 was a Microsoft, 1 was an android, and the one he has now is an Apple. He said they’ve each had things he’s liked - but it sounds to me like he likes the Apple one best.

I like the data it gives me. MOSTLY - the calories in vs. calories out. I know that if my calories in stay under the calories out I will lose weight. Guaranteed. The data I have over the last 7 years shows that definitively. There’s a lot of other info that’s helpful, but that’s the main one that I look at.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was given a free one from my MIL when she upgraded hers. I tried to use it, but it wasn't very accurate for me. But I'm special, lol. I have very low blood pressure, related to my thyroid trouble. Those things aren't cheap, so maybe buy a used one on eBay (I just found a listing for 5 Fitbit Charges for $19, plus $2 shipping (FitBit Charge), to check whether it works for you before you lay out a lot of money. I'll be forever grateful that my MIL gave me her hand-me-down, so that I didn't waste any cash on something that just didn't work for me.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty motivated by mine. I shoot for 15k steps a day, and I keep track of it throughout the day to make sure I'm on target. I will say though, I prefer the clip on ones. For some reason, I'm part of this rare group of people who gets pain inside their arm from the wrist based ones (has to do with the wi-fi syncing they say).
  • klauss_torres
    klauss_torres Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't like mine, It was good for some time, but after much cardio it stopped working properly and charging properly.
    The good thing about it that it motivates you to walk, the alarm if you are a heavy sleeper, and the sleep monitor were good.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I had the Ultra way back when and I really loved it so eventually upgraded to a Charge HR, which is my current Fitbit, and I will be upgrading to a Versa soon. I find it's pretty accurate calorie burn and step wise and I appreciate the extra motivation to be a bit more active during my workday as I have a desk job.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and love it. I tried a few other types of activity trackers but they weren't accurate and it bothered me . I do think it helps me see how active I am and since it's synced to my diary it logs my exercise for me and I feel that it's pretty accurate. I don't need to take that extra step to log and I may not be as accurate as it is.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had several fitbits over the last few years and they are very motivating. I have since changed to an Apple Watch for some of the call/messaging features but would still recommend Fitbit as far as trackers are concerned.
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex 2 and I love it. It’s a lot smaller and more simplified than a lot of the other trackers. I also have one of the fancy bangles so I can disguise it as a pretty bracelet when I go out, lol! I use it mostly as a pedometer and alarm but I wear it everywhere. The only thing that bugs me is that MFP doesn’t always want to sync with the fitbit app, but I think that’s MFPs fault. ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What do YOU want to get from a fitness tracker?
  • UntilProud
    UntilProud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love my new fitbit. It's definitely motivating to hit the goals on it. I like that I can receive notifications on my phone about whats happening in my texts, calls, and MFP. You can merge the two applications together, so fitbit will update your myfitnesspal with what you've done for the day to better the accuracy of your calories burned for the day. Good luck!

I have the Ionic.
  • angelcake1978
    angelcake1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Jumping on this post, is there a smartwatch that people use to track swimming lengths/distance accurately. I want one that I can glance at whilst swimming and see how far I've swam/calories burnt???