Consumable Pet Peeves?

Options

Replies

• BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    not strictly food, But often on food- new and improved. How can it be new AND improved. Its either new or improved it cant be both. I hate it so much

I guess as opposed to "new and worse" or "new but somehow the same" :smiley:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When there’s a big protein label on the front saying it’s high in protein with maybe 15-20 grams, yet the whole thing is 500+ calories, meaning you have at most 80 cals coming from protein......
    For example the Starbucks protein salads: 23 grams of protein but 600+ cals.
    Or when people say peanut butter or any nut butter is a protein source.....no it’s a fat source with some protein...

Thank you! This one bothers me too.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    not strictly food, But often on food- new and improved. How can it be new AND improved. Its either new or improved it cant be both. I hate it so much

I guess as opposed to "new and worse" or "new but somehow the same" :smiley:

i mean if its new its new right...you cant improve on it if its new ...its new. lol
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Campbell's Chunky Canned Soups. For this line of their products, they list calories according to CUPS instead of grams. Idk why. Many of their other lines of soups list cups and grams. I called about a year ago to find out why, and they just mailed me some coupons and said they'd look into adding grams. Well, they didn't look into it deeply enough since the label is still the same today. Yes, the total net weight is listed in front of the can in grams, but the total servings are "about 2," and years of logging tell me that it's more miss than hit that canned soups are ever two or more servings. I won't get into the math, but going by the net weight could give a lower calorie estimate. I don't eat canned Campbell soups often enough for any damage to get done, and I remind myself that everything is an estimate even with a food scale, but it's still annoying to have to go by the net weight.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Anything like Lenny and Larry's cookies, where they make one cookie two servings. I'm not gonna eat a half of a cookie and save the other half for later, especially when the packaging doesn't reseal. Same thing with Poptarts, although I haven't had those in years.

This is probably my biggest. For example, what is clearly a single serving size of chips but when you read the label it says 2 1/2 servings. Just list the calories for the whole bag for pete's sake!

Microwavable lasagne in a 6x8 tray that's 300 calories per serving... 2 servings. In that one tiny tray. And if you've brought it with you to work for lunch? What are you to do with the leftovers?
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    When I'm trying to get a gram weight on, say, frozen corn or drained canned beans... and I have to go through a whole bunch of entries that only give cups, tbsps, and mls. (I understand when I'm dealing with something mostly liquid, like a non-pureed vegetable soup. But... 1/2 cup of canned diced tomatoes drained?)

If you mean in the mfp database, you can add "g" to your search, and that will narrow it down to those entries measured in grams. For example, "diced tomatoes g".

I've been doing that and it's cut down on the frustration. Also adding "USDA" to my search, if it's something like frozen butternut squash. But even with that, sometimes I need to go through a few entries before I find one I can use.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The confusion over how many serving sizes is in a bag of popcorn!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

If you mean in the mfp database, you can add "g" to your search, and that will narrow it down to those entries measured in grams. For example, "diced tomatoes g".

You're my hero.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Anything like Lenny and Larry's cookies, where they make one cookie two servings. I'm not gonna eat a half of a cookie and save the other half for later, especially when the packaging doesn't reseal. Same thing with Poptarts, although I haven't had those in years.

This is probably my biggest. For example, what is clearly a single serving size of chips but when you read the label it says 2 1/2 servings. Just list the calories for the whole bag for pete's sake!

Microwavable lasagne in a 6x8 tray that's 300 calories per serving... 2 servings. In that one tiny tray. And if you've brought it with you to work for lunch? What are you to do with the leftovers?

Have the second serving tomorrow? Just saying....

I don't think you're supposed to re-microwave microwaved food.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Really?!? Is this truly a thing? I do it all the time.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Me too; just not in the same container I originally cooked it in.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

The plastic in the microwave thing has been debunked, I think. Another of those miniscule issues that the media blew up into a major "cancer-causing threat."
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Semi-solid foods with servings listed in mL, ie: ice cream. I bought a 1/2 c food scoop for that reason.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    A bag of the new Protes protein popcorn has 1,3 servings with 150 calories per serving... like are you for serious?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

The plastic in the microwave thing has been debunked, I think. Another of those miniscule issues that the media blew up into a major "cancer-causing threat."

I have heard that as well. Old habits I guess.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    All of these, plus trying to guess if avocados and mangoes I pick are going to be mostly inedible due to an enormous pit/stone. I get soooo sad when I have this perfectly ripe one, and cut into it, and get a spoonful of deliciousness and the rest is the pit/stone. Not much I can do about that, haha!
  • estherdragonbat
    Options

At home, sure. Away from home it's harder to carry the leftovers back without risking leakage.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    All of these, plus trying to guess if avocados and mangoes I pick are going to be mostly inedible due to an enormous pit/stone. I get soooo sad when I have this perfectly ripe one, and cut into it, and get a spoonful of deliciousness and the rest is the pit/stone. Not much I can do about that, haha!

Cannot speak for mangoes but can when it comes to avocados; never buy the more round/rounded ones. You always think they are going to have the most flesh for your buck but in my experience they have the largest seeds vs. the pear-shaped ones.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    When I'm browsing the internets for food ideas and low cal recipes have pictures of bounteous dishes of food instead of showing what one serving of it looks like.

Yes, and similarly, all the recipes which don't actually tell you how many grams is one serving size.

It would be nice to have at least an estimate.