Starting keto

Options
Hi everyone. Today I’m starting the keto diet. Or lifestyle change. Need to lose 44 lbs to be completel satisfied. Any pointers and simple meal ideas to get me going??

Replies

• Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I practice keto/IF...not 100% committed, my food diary reflects that..hehehe! My advice, do your research, lots of great info, and not so great info. If you get what I mean... know your goal, why you are choosing keto, benefits/cons..etc..just like doing homework..you can ask on here, lots of informative peeps, and there are groups you can join.. but be prepared for the "know it all's" and the "adding my 2 cents peeps"!! Best of luck!!
  • Recinos0507
    Recinos0507 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’ve just started keto today too. I’ve done some research on it n I think it will be a great way n healthy way to lose the weight.
  • jasontpedersen
    jasontpedersen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on keto for 8 months. Feel great, look great. It works!! Track strictly in the beginning and what I found worked for me was to start every day with 2tbsp coconut oil in coffee. That gets your days in the upper 90s right off the bat. Then eat your way down to 75-80% macro. Good luck, stick with it. Oh and if your hurting for a sandwich ... the low carb bread is nice. Oh and for me ... even though carbs and sugar are interchangeable ... bread carbs seem to take a higher toll on my being in keto than sugar. I’d love to share any of my experience so feel free to ask as many questions as you want
  • TX_Matt
    TX_Matt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If doing strict Keto track everything and never go over 20 carbs. Stay hydrated, find what works for you in terms of Keto friendly food. I can’t stress enough to stay hydrated. I personally do strict Keto with IF of 23/1. May you find success with Keto as well!
  • SchultzBrigade
    SchultzBrigade Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Suggestions based upon my experience:

1. Get Ketone Sticks to check and see if you are in Ketosis. I use these http://a.co/cKAcAN8. I check every day.
    2. Watch potassium intake. It can be hard to get enough potassium on a Keto diet. I noticed pins and needles in my feet and increasing potassium made it go away. I get potassium from salmon (great for Keto diet), avocado and spinach. Plus I take a potassium supplement on some days. MyFitnessPal tracks potassium too.
    3. Constipation might be a issue, it was for me. I eat a Fage Total full-fat plain yogurt each day, it's 8 carbs and almost half my daily carb allotment, but its worth it for me to keep digestion running smoothly. You can try a probiotic supplement too.
    4. I found that my daily carbs were between 30-40 which was good enough to keep me in Ketosis. 20 or lower is really hard unless you skip almost all vegetables.
    5. Drink lots of water, this is essential on a Keto diet. I use a gallon jug and work on it all day. It's easier to drink the whole gallon during the course of the day as opposed to remembering how may eight ounce glasses I had.

Once you are in Ketosis, tinker with things and find what works for you. That's why you want to check regularly with the Ketone sticks. Good luck!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group. It's one of the largest and most active groups in MFP and where many Ketophiles tend to hang out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group