Drs. and nurses and nutrition

Options
I don't know if it is just the Nurse Practitioner I see or if this is rampant in the medical profession, but I know more about nutrition than she does!

Seriously, she had to look up guidelines for sodium to tell me (so I can limit my fluid retention). She didn't know diet coke is low sodium but has phosphates and I don't think she knows what a phosphate is. *grumble mumble* Simply ridiculus.

Replies

• jupaba
    jupaba Posts: 25
    Options
    Doctors and nurses are not nutrition experts - dietitians are. They shouldn't be expected to know all that
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's true. I went to my doctor to ask about weight loss and she basically said she had no idea, but to try to get my BMI under 25...which I knew already.

That said, you should have a degree in food/nutrition or health sciences to be a nutrititionist, and science or health sciences to be a doctor.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Those in the general medical profession are not trained in nutrition - a person in medical school is only required to take a very minimal number of hours of nutrition, and from what I hear, even that is sometimes not followed. It is very likely that a self- educated, well-read "civilian" does know more about nutrition that many in medicine. If you want someone who knows about nutrition, see a nutritionist - if they seem to have less knowledge, then, yes, I would be worried.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Doctors and nurses dont take years of nutrition. Only one or two basic classes in nutrition.

That is why we have a dietitian or nutritionist. Like me! Well im in school to become one :]

Sorry about the bad experience! I have had the same with a few doctors myself, when they cant answer my questions
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Doctors and nurses are not nutrition experts - dietitians are. They shouldn't be expected to know all that

Exactly! Its like assuming the plumber can fix the electrical problem because hey, its all on the house!

Also, usually once someone in a profession like medicine specializes, the rest of the general knowledge they might have covered in school becomes a little fuzzy. (or any profession for that matter)
  • sfeld1
    sfeld1 Posts: 8
    Options
    In my opinion, Doctors and nurses know a little about a lot of different topics. If you have specific diet/weight related questions I would seek input from your doctor, but if you cant get the answers ask to be referred to a nutritionist who can give more detailed responses.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. My doctor said to only lift light weights (no more than 10 lbs) to prevent from getting big like a dude.

Dont you think Doctors should know about nutrition in our current society? 66% of adults are obese or overweight, and childrens obesity is overwhelming. If preventing obesity and keeping people at a normal weight means diet and exercise, dont you think thats important in medicine as being healthy means less medical problems? OR is that it. Medical problems keep doctors in business.
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    Sunshine - Congrats on your career choice.

Yeah, I get what you guys are saying and you're right. I guess I just feel that what you eat is so itegral to how healthy you are, I was expecting a Dr. or nurse to know more about it but they just deal with specific illnesses.
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. My doctor said to only lift light weights (no more than 10 lbs) to prevent from getting big like a dude.

Dont you think Doctors should know about nutrition in our current society? 66% of adults are obese or overweight, and childrens obesity is overwhelming. If preventing obesity and keeping people at a normal weight means diet and exercise, dont you think thats important in medicine as being healthy means less medical problems? OR is that it. Medical problems keep doctors in business.

Wow big like a dude?! xD *facepalm*

the thing is though, thet is why we have nutritionist and dietitians. Doctors cannot just take on the role of that too.
  • veganbaum
    Options

Exactly! Its like assuming the plumber can fix the electrical problem because hey, its all on the house!

Also, usually once someone in a profession like medicine specializes, the rest of the general knowledge they might have covered in school becomes a little fuzzy. (or any profession for that matter)

So true. I think that assumption is often made. A general practitioner or nurse is there to help with the sort of day-to-day very general type of health stuff. A nurse practitioner I saw knew more about migraines than my doctor, because she had educated herself, I still had more knowledge about migraines than she did in some areas. There's too much to know, that's why people specialize, but a lot of people do have the misconception that their GP/nurse will have a lot of knowledge in nutrition.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes so I guess my point being, if doctors dont know that stuff, then they need to speak up and refer you to a dietician or nutritionist!!! Instead, they misinform people which just makes it worse.
  • medwards89
    medwards89 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student right now and what I can tell you is this: If people ate and exercised as they know they should, healthcare wouldn't be such a booming "business."
    If you want to talk to someone about nutrition, your doctor or nurse practitioner can refer you to a nutritionist or dietician. Those are specialized areas of study.
  • h82bfat
    h82bfat Posts: 77
    Options
    My experience has been although members of the medical community may know about the physiological issues regarding weight (as related to blood pressure, Diabetes, etc.) the ones I have talked to know shockingly little about nutrition. Once, after I was told I need to loose weight, I started hammering my doctor with lots of detailed questions and the best he could muster was "Good nutrition is intuitive."

Honestly, most doctors are too busy to even think about your case and default to reading lab results and prescribing pharmaceuticals. Not that that's bad if that's what you need, but in most cases it's much less helpful then carefully crafting thoughtful recommended lifestyle changes.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately our entire culture is focused on quick-fixes, inlcuding the medical profession to a certain extent - it is a business. Pop a pill. It's a breath of fresh air when you get a medical professional who will suggest altering lifestyles or remedies besides medication for things. So sad that a lot of people won't listen - like with diet and exercise.
    Options
    Yes so I guess my point being, if doctors dont know that stuff, then they need to speak up and refer you to a dietician or nutritionist!!! Instead, they misinform people which just makes it worse.

Yes! This is the past that actually gets under my skin. If you dont know something I understand, but dont tell me something completely false :p haha Because I know!
  • nikniki
    nikniki Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree they shouldn't know all BUT they should know more then they do nutrition affects your health and they are there to keep you healthy... Just a personal opinion
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You are totally correct. Doctors and nurses are incredible - they take years of education to learn what they know and they are expected to know a great deal at the drop of a hat - if they don't, people die. I respect the humility of an individual who will look up information in front of me, this expresses a desire to learn and to check facts before making assumptions.