Starting Macros

Options
I'm switching from.WW to tracking macros. I'm planning 20 carb/40 protein/ 40 fat. Any advice or insight.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if it works for you. Barring medical reasons, macro settings are a personal preference.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose that macro split? Not a criticism, just curious as that's not one I see often :smile:

If you're looking for food ideas I can't help as I eat way more carbs than that but I'm sure you'll get lots more replies.

Just keep in mind that if you have a day where you just can't get your macros lined up, hitting your calorie goal is more important than your macros for weight loss. So like don't go over your calorie goal in an effort to get enough fat or something like that

Welcome and good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is about how accurate for how long, not how extreme. I advice at least starting out with the default, or not even tracking, macros.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Three questions:

1/ Why track macros and not just calories? (I'm not saying it's not beneficial just trying to understand what benefit is important to you.)

2/ Why use fixed macro percentages at all?

3/ Why did you choose those particular percentages rather than the default?

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    When determining macros it is important that

Your minimum intake of protein is 0.8 grams of protein for every pound of weight you are
    Your minimum intake of fat is 0.3 grams for every pound of weight you are

Note these are minimums only can you can definitely have more.

Your exact makeup of macros needs to be determined by

Any medical conditions you have
    The type of foods you enjoy and the way of eating you can sustain for life (not just while you are losing)
    The types of foods that keep you fuller for longer. Some find this fat, others protein, others starches, others fibre .....

You really need to play around with your macros a bit to find what works best for you as it is very individual.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Your minimum intake of protein is 0.8 grams of protein for every pound of weight you are

Excess body weight doesn't need to be provided with protein.

The government protein recommendation is 0.8 grams per kilogram. 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass (or goal weight if you are overweight) gives a protein buffer over the minimum.
  • Lillymoo01
    edited April 2018
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

The government protein recommendation is 0.8 grams per kilogram. 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass (or goal weight if you are overweight) gives a protein buffer over the minimum.

Some sites will also say 0.36 grams per pound but that seems too small, especially if you want to preserve muscle through weight loss. I was meant to say 0.8 grams per goal weight but accidentally left that out.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Some sites will also say 0.36 grams per pound but that seems too small, especially if you want to preserve muscle through weight loss. I was meant to say 0.8 grams per goal weight but accidentally left that out.
    There's been a lot of government research to back those protein numbers. Extra protein is helpful for muscle retention and building and can be satiating so it is a good idea to eat over the government recommendation while losing weight or bodybuilding. How far over is up to the individual.
  • knosti
    knosti Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do keto so I religiously track my macros. I do 70 fat 20 protein 10 carbs and I eat around 1300 calories so that is approx. 65 g protein. That being said, I would suggest seeing a dietician or nutritionist if you need help. Most insurance companies offer 4 free visits per year for overweight folks. Check the Preventive Care Schedule for your medical insurance company.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

The type of foods you enjoy and the way of eating you can sustain for life (not just while you are losing)
    The types of foods that keep you fuller for longer. Some find this fat, others protein, others starches, others fibre .....

You really need to play around with your macros a bit to find what works best for you as it is very individual.

Correction RDA for protein is 0.8 lb for every kg of body weight not lb
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but 20% carbs seems very low unless you're doing an atkins diet. OK for short term.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »

Many of us believe there's good research support for targeting protein above RDA when athletically active, losing weight, or aging. I shoot for protein of 0.8g per pound of goal weight, which is roughly twice the RDA, and roughly equivalent to 1g per pound of lean body mass.

It's the same numeric value, 0.8, which makes things confusing, but it's not a confusion of pounds and kilograms. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

0.8 pounds of protein for every kilogram of body weight seems like an awfully high recommendation. Especially coming from you since you normally seem to advocate protein intake well below the minimum recommended by evidence-based researchers.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

0.8 pounds of protein for every kilogram of body weight seems like an awfully high recommendation. Especially coming from you since you normally seem to advocate protein intake well below the minimum recommended by evidence-based researchers.

Not really. The average male is around 75kgs (165 pounds). This equates to around 60 grams of protein.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Not really. The average male is around 75kgs (165 pounds). This equates to around 60 grams of protein.

Read it again. Carefully this time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options

Wishing we had a LOL reaction. I totally missed that! ;)