Suggestions on exercises

Options
I am soon to be 53, and I am struggling to lose weight. Not to sound like i am whining but most exercises are out for me due to spine issues. To this point I have lost 50 pounds but am now stuck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You'll be better off working on your calorie intake to lose weight. Are you logging 100% of the foods you eat and using a food scale?

As for exercise, have you worked with a PT to determine what you can do?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Weight loss is about maintaining a calorie deficit. Keeping good track of calories in is the best way to lose weight. Do you use a digital food scale to measure your intake? Double check food selections because plenty of entries in the database are wrong.

Exercise is best for health and fitness goals, in fact if you add exercise to your log here My Fitness Pal gives you exercise calories on top of your calorie goal. This keeps your deficit in check (providing you are logging your intake correctly).

The best exercise is the one you like because it's the one you will do regularly. The best exercise helps you reach fitness goals. Cardio is great for your heart and burns more calories than strength training. However, strength training helps you keep more lean muscle as you lose weight, and great for your bone health. I'm over 50 too, and don't want to see any more lean muscle loss. My approach is cardio 3 days and strength training 3 days. Do what you can do consistently.

Without n=knowing what you like I don't have any ideas what to suggest. Youtube is filled with lots of options. A couple favorites of mine are: http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

and: https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, swimming, it’s gentle on the old joints. I see people “run” in the pool. I have never tried but it looks like it would be also easy on the body.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Doh! I didn't read you post closely enough. A recumbent bicycle might work for you. Also look for seated or chair workouts.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit like stated above is the best way to lose weight.

I started when I was 54 with 30 lbs to lose a rate of 1 lbs a week for the first few lbs then 0.5 for the rest. Slow, steady, and maintainable.
    Pick a reasonable, sustainable deficit, aim towards fulfilling your nutritional needs, and follow the advice posted above.

Having your back assessed and working with a pt would be a great idea.

If that is out of the question think of taking to the water. Aquafit was my first ever exercise. I chose it because it looked like fun, and I wouldn't get all sweaty, but it is easy on the body, you can go at your own pace. and quite often different levels are offered. (Swimming or water walking may work too)

Walking is good too. Start small and slow and build up your tolerance. Don't expect to do 30 min initially if you don't walk a lot. Start with a 5-10 min stroll.

A gentle yoga class, talk with the instructor first, may be something to consider. A good instructor will work to make the moves adaptable.

Remember to log and and eat at least a portion of your exercise calories.

Cheers, h.