What are your favorite,healthy, filling snacks for when you want to biinge?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are craving a particular food I suggest you weigh your chosen portion and eat it. When I’ve tried to substitute “healthier” options all I ended up doing is eating both. I’m of the school to feed the crave...with limits. Start and finish with a full glass of water.

There are lots of good ideas upthread but watch nuts and nut butters. These fatty snacks are twice the calories of either protein or carbs.

How many calories in “one spoonful”? How big is the spoon?
  • Jess3416
    Jess3416 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. It gives me the sweetness I crave and the protein fills me. Watermelon is an excellent fruit to snack on. It's mainly water and fills you up (if you want more substance add cottage cheese). If you start with healthy foods that make you feel full you can always back off a little bit at a time with serving size. Don't starve yourself because then you will binge eat or quit your quest for a healthier lifestyle.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you are craving a particular food I suggest you weigh your chosen portion and eat it. When I’ve tried to substitute “healthier” options all I ended up doing is eating both. I’m of the school to feed the crave...with limits. Start and finish with a full glass of water.

There are lots of good ideas upthread but watch nuts and nut butters. These fatty snacks are twice the calories of either protein or carbs.

Nice suggestion. Unfortunately this isn't one size fits all. I'm in the lower calorie snack option camp. I'm not happy with "x" amount of grams of a super palatable food as a snack.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm wanting to binge, it's because I'm wanting something sweet (like chocolate or ice cream!). I've been mixing my protein powder in with cottage cheese and some sugar-free syrup (and sometimes vanilla unsweetened almond milk). It's like a pudding for me and it definitely stops a junky chocolate binge. If I try to "just eat a small piece" of chocolate, I won't stop.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    KitKat. I just make sure to save up some calories for it. Sometimes its Lays Ketchup potato chips. Sometimes its both!
  • huffysback
    huffysback Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a carton of cottage cheese on hand for late eating. Try not to eat more than a cup, 8oz. Sometimes I just drink a big glass of milk, but you've got to be careful of what type of milk your drinking, I use regular skim milk. Make sure that you are not getting to much fat.
    I hope you figure out what is going to work for you, there was some great ideas from others.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Clementines, blueberries, melon, and funnily enough raw mushrooms
  • katestacy
    katestacy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Skinny pop is my go to snack
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I have that issue, I usually go for low calorie, high volume foods that I can pick at for a long time. Air popped popcorn, berries, grape tomatoes, celery with PB2, homemade oven baked tortilla chips and salsa.
  • Scubagirl713
    Scubagirl713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sliced cucumber dipped in thai chili sauce. Less than 50 calories for the cucumber and around 90 for 2 tbsp of chili sauce.
  • TX_Matt
    TX_Matt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cheese and mixed nuts are my go to
  • AutumnToaster
    AutumnToaster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sometimes will wake up in the middle of the night, totally ravenous. So to avoid being a rabid animal tearing through the cabinets and fridge I try to keep things sparse in the cupboards so my only options are a handful of almonds or carrots.

My advice is to drink a ton of water and tea, especially before/during/after a meal to help you feel more full. If you’re binging out of boredom (like if you’re awake at those times because you’re a security guard or something and there’s not a lot going on) find something to keep your mind busy like a book, crossword puzzles, etc. Chew some gum to keep your mouth busy.

And one of my favorite things to eat before bed is a protein pudding. I mix my protein powder with just enough almond milk or water to give it a thick pudding consistency and top it with some fruit and sometimes peanut butter. It feels like a decadent dessert and keeps me full through the night.
  • olyamhc
    olyamhc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Watch for the calories in nuts, seeds, and cheese, you'll be surprised! Definitely don't eat those if you can't weigh them on a kitchen gram scale.

When I want to snack on some, I weigh 1oz of pumpkin seeds and dry roast them on a frying pan for 1-2 minutes while mixing with a spoon. It's tasty and I can usually fit that into my 1200cals daily if I want. As far as low cal snacks go - dry seaweed crisps, fat free cottage cheese with frozen berries, low fat unsweetened plain Greek yogurt with berries/flax/vanilla, shredded carrots and green apple, Earl Gray tea with a splash of almond milk, a cup of almond milk and wholegrain cereal (look for non-colorful ones..."wholegrain", and no or very little sugar added).

* Almond milk that I buy is always "plain" (not chocolate or vanilla) and "unsweetened". Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are always fat free or low fat, plain, unsweetened. This really cuts down on calories and still tasty to me. And lastly, logging faithfully here on MFP and wanting to reach my goal weight have helped me to control my urges to binge.
  • anastasiapuzur
    anastasiapuzur Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Roasted unsalted sunflower seeds in shell are the best for late night snacking! Get them from any Slavic market.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My lifesaver when I want to binge is PB2. I LOVE peanut butter and I crave PB&J sandwiches. I could easily polish off a couple. They are a major comfort food. BUT when I discovered making a PB&J with PB2, 2 slices of low-cal bread and reduced sugar fruit spread and that it was only around 160ish calories, omg it was a revelation! Now i can indulge and work it into my daily limit.

Other snacks when I want to binge are popcorn (I'm currently obsessed w/ the Skinny Girl salt/lime minibags) and Jello Sugar-Free pudding (60 calories)
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The only 'lazy' foods I have in the fridge are dried figs and prunes. In the pantry - cuppa soups and trail mix, the nuts are in a container underneath two other containers behind the lentils though, so for me, that doesn't qualify as lazy food haha. It's a nuisance to get to them, but it works well for me.
  • nomorefat4
    nomorefat4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Been eating super huge salads lately (5-6 cups of lettuce). Very filling!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

Nice suggestion. Unfortunately this isn't one size fits all. I'm in the lower calorie snack option camp. I'm not happy with "x" amount of grams of a super palatable food as a snack.

If I feel like filling up and the crave is not specific I’ll pop some air popped popcorn.

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don’t think of it as binge eating, but when I’m hungry at night my go-to is usually a big serving of veg with a little fat. The other night I was hungry, so I ate 4 servings of seasoned green beans with a little butter. I actually really love veg so I find that an enjoyable way to eat but I’m sure it sounds like hell to some people! :D

Have you tried experimenting with how you distribute your calories throughout the day and your macros at meals? You might be able to eat in ways that leave you not as hungry as you currently are at night (on the same calories).
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You should not eat after 7 PM period. Your probably not hungry, you're bored, drink some water.

So, do you suggest skipping dinner altogether or do I have to eat at my office?