13lbs down since 3/1

Options
Hello,

I’m Courtney and I’m 26 years old! I’m hoping to lose a good amount of weight before my 27th birthday in December! Since this is my first time actually *trying* to lose weight and tracking my calories. I’m not following any specific plans but mainly just trying to stay within my daily calorie limit and exercise everyday. This seems to be working for me because every time I’ve gone “cold turkey” and just went hard in the gym - I’ve ended up failing and giving up. It’s also helped me identify my terrible eating habits and causing me to “think twice” about some of my food choices.

I’ve also set small goals for myself instead focusing on the larger one! (Ultimate goal is to lose around 150lbs!)

I haven’t been to a gym yet because it’s so overwhelming and a bit scary so I tend to just walk the trails around my neighborhood and use my phone to track my steps.

What are some of your tips? How do you not get discouraged?

Good luck on your journey!

Replies

• NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you're off to a great start. I would suggest what you are already doing - stay within your calorie limit and add some exercise. In addition to that I would tell you to log your calories even if you've gone over and to eat whatever foods you like. In my prior attempts with MFP there were times I went over and stopped logging for the day which led to days, weeks, months.
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a similar approach to my goals! Some of the best advice I’ve heard- eat/live for the body you want, not the body you have. In a way, mentally, I’ve already achieved my goals. My body is just catching up.
    In terms of exercise, I think it’s important to find something that you actually enjoy doing- something you can keep doing even after you’ve lost weight. For me, that’s hiking. Hiking is what inspired me to try to be healthier and I know it’s something I’ll continue doing long after I’ve lost the weight (currently 190, down almost 10 lbs in 6 weeks. Goal weight is 150 by October 6th).
  • courtneyarmstead
    courtneyarmstead Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Before, I’ve hated the idea of “working out” but I’ve made my walks kinda fun and by walking with my dog.