sushi

Options
felice03
felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
I am going out for sushi for a friends birthday tonight. Any suggestions as far as what to stay away from or what are good options?
I really like sushi but don't typically eat it a lot so any thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    Options
    If you want something slightly sweet go for Inari. I am also a fan of spicy tuna rolls... I would also recommend an avocado roll.... delicious,
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You want brown rice sushi if they have it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I would suggest sashimi, but if you say you really don't eat it much, I'm guessing you usually eat the sushi rolls. I guess portion con rol is your best bet.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

great website for calories and nutrtional info on sushi

have a great time out!
  • 5korBust
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I think if you go with Shashimi (sp?) instead you will end up skipping most of the rice and just getting the yummy fish instead!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Try a lot of different ones! Just go in with an open mind, and don't bother tracking them all.
    Kappa is great to start on. I also like the tuna, egg, salmon, eel.

I also will take the wasabi and mix it into the soy sauce to get a spicy soy.

Just stay away from fugu.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sushi isn't too bad and the things that aren't great are pretty obvious. Stay away from the things with the sauce, tempura or anything deepfried and if you're an edamame fan ask to have it non-salted. If they do brown rice as a sub definately opt for that. Other than that, don't gorge yourself, order one item at a time, that way you have a chance to realise you're no longer hungry and are less likely to overeat.
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    Hey there. I love sushi and eat it often. Avoid spicey tuna roll...as it is higher/denser in calories. REGULAR tuna roll, however, is a great choice. Alaska Roll (salmon) is also a great choice.l Try and stick to straight up fish and rice and veggie rolls....avoid ones with sauces or where the meat is mixed with other ingredients (like the spicey tuna). Naturally a GREAT option is to go for sashimi as opposed to nori rolls---just meat. Great lean protein sources...no carbs. I suggest a roll or two of a cleaner nori OR a roll and some sashimi pieces and then a bowl of edamamme to accompany.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    stay away from anything "tempura". try to stay away from rolls made with cream cheese, the calories add up! ask for brown rice, too.

i usually only get a salmon roll, topped with wasabi. sometimes, i get the salmon cooked in teriyaki sauce. one roll is about 210 cals, i think. (white rice, plain salmon, uncooked)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't listen. I went and looked at your profile.
    "I am a mother of a two-year old beautiful little girl."

I am assuming this is your night off. Just enjoy, be a regular human for the night and don't count calories.
    Just start up again tomorrow.
  • mendogirl
    Options
    nothing fried, stay away from rolls that contain the words "crunchy, or crispy", nothing with cream cheese in it, try to have lower sodium soy sauce (or non at all), try to stick with fresh raw fish with minimal rice, and one to two rolls and not five :)
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is high protein low calorie - the tuna is the best, salmon has more fat but it's good fat.

Avacado is good for you, but will up your calories a lot if the whole roll is avacado.

Stay away from teriyaki or any tempura. The yam tempura roll is not bad though as it's so minimal.

And a california roll (8 pieces) is about 350 calories, but filling. Also, those fancy rolls with fried shrimp and cream cheese, never a good idea!

Udon soup is good too, higher sodium though. But that would be your whole meal.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I was a sushi addict till I realized how bad it actually is for you even if u try "healthy" varieties " I always get spicy tuna.....sashimi is always the best cuz theres no rice at all but I am not a fan.....unless its mackarel....the biggest suggestion is dont go overboard!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Only have a bit of soya sauce that stuff is ridiculous with the sodium. Dont over do it with tempura foods and try to eat the rolls that dont have mayo and tempura bits added to it. Sashimi is good too. Mm i want sushi now.
  • ivette512
    ivette512 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definitley no tempura and read the roll descriptions. The spicy rolls usually have some kind of mayo. I like Nigri, which is a slice of fish over rice and sashimi wich is just plain fish. Edamame is great and steamed gyoza (dumplings) to share are fun.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    oh also, one thing about sashimi is it's usually calculated by the ounce on here. So when you get it, think about this:

an ounce is about the size of your index and middle fingers (length and width together). 3 oz is about the size of a pack of cards. IF you get nigiri sushi then you can add that easily on MFP, but the rice adds up a bit more of course.
  • felice03
    Options
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

great website for calories and nutrtional info on sushi

have a great time out!

thanks for this...gives me a great idea of what i am looking at calorie wise!
  • felice03
    Options
    Don't listen. I went and looked at your profile.
    "I am a mother of a two-year old beautiful little girl."

I am assuming this is your night off. Just enjoy, be a regular human for the night and don't count calories.
    Just start up again tomorrow.

Yes it is my night off! so I am planning on enjoying, just don't want to go too crazy! Thanks!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy yourself with the sushi, get what you like, and keep portions under control. Enjoy it, log it, and come back tomorrow. Of all the restaurant foods out there, you can fill up a lot more and stay full longer with sushi than a lot of other choices. You will get some extra salt and calories, but overall, what is included in your meal has a lot of nutrients. The fish is absolutely great for you. Enjoy! I am truly jealous.