30 lbs down; slow and steady

Options
60Chevy
60Chevy Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2018 in Success Stories
Hesitated to post until I had made significant progress. My entire adult life has involved starting the next diet. I had been maintaining a heavier build from regular walking, but arthritis in one hip really slowed me down. Walking was painful, even though my orthopedic doc said that it would get better the more active I was. And lose a little weight.

Well, it mostly hurt, so during the holidays and cold weather I walked less, and ate more. Until I was the heaviest I’d ever been my entire life. Which scared me because I had a parent with type 2 diabetes and my siblings are heavy.

So I finally decided to decide. I started a “bootcamp” program at my gym, which is not brutal at all but 3 days a week I have to be accountable.

On February 7, I started a weight loss program through a local hospital, where you weigh in each week, buy pre-packaged meals and snacks and consult with their nutritionist. I paid for 6 months, partly to be accountable to myself with hard earned money invested in the endeavor. I realize not everyone has a gym or can afford a fee-based program (it’s actually very reasonable) but for me, it was something I needed, again, for the sake of being accountable to someone else as well as myself.

They took my measurements, body fat calculations and I weighed in: 302.6 pounds. I was embarrassed, mad at myself — and mostly terrified. I’d NEVER tipped the scales north of 300. Wake up call is putting it mildly.

They started me on a very low carb, 1,100 calories a day based on my age (57) and measurements. Everything I tasted was to be measured and logged. And I’ve done that scrupulously and it’s definitely a key to awareness and success.

After 9 weeks, I’m down 31.5 lbs and over 3% body fat; good luck to all!

Replies

• melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Awesome work,keep it up
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You're doing a good job. It wasn't put on overnight; it will take time to come off. Congrats!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hard work paying off! No reason to be embarrassed, just be determined and committed to your own success and health. Well done, and can't wait to hear your next update!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!