Arm definition

Options
Shannongr29
Shannongr29 Posts: 1,809 Member
I’m looking to build some arm definition but don’t quite know where to start. I’m big into cardio and light weight lifting. I don’t have access to a large gym, just mainly dumbbells weight bench basic home workout equipment. Any suggestions beyond basic bicep curls, triceps dips, push ups, etc? This is what my arms look like right now. (This is a headshot from my acting portfolio) avlnonegmfez.jpeg

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to lose fat? Gain muscle? Recomp?

The basics are all you need. At least two lifts per muscle, done with frequency and progressive overload. I suggest just running a structured program.
  • Shannongr29
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

The basics are all you need. At least two lifts per muscle, done with frequency and progressive overload. I suggest just running a structured program.

So how many times per week to build muscle, and how many times per week to maintain? I assume every day for the same muscle groups is inappropriate, yes?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    sgreer29 wrote: »

So how many times per week to build muscle, and how many times per week to maintain? I assume every day for the same muscle groups is inappropriate, yes?

Building muscle and maintaining are more about the calories you eat. If you eat in a surplus, you'll gain fat and muscle. If you eat at maintenance, you maintain or build a little. I just said above, twice per week and no you don't do the same body part two days in a row. Get a program
  • Shannongr29
    Options
    sgreer29 wrote: »

Building muscle and maintaining are more about the calories you eat. If you eat in a surplus, you'll gain fat and muscle. If you eat at maintenance, you maintain or build a little. I just said above, twice per week and no you don't do the same body part two days in a row. Get a program
    Thank you! I’ll take your advice.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree that you need a program. Also remember that definition in a product of low body fat. You'll need to lose weight in order for the muscle to show through.

I'd suggest running a slight deficit ( about 250 cals below TDEE) while you go though the lifting program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Look for a dumbbell program that focuses on the whole body. You don't want to just isolate your arms. Your arms are going to get worked with the other movements you do...I typically do arms very last and don't go crazy with them because they've gotten a lot of work throughout my workout.

In regards to training frequency, 2-3x per week.
  • tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello sgreer 29! Go to Most helpful links at top of page, then go to "which lifting program is right for you?" Quite a few dumbbell programs listed there. Good luck and enjoy!