Giant Eagle Shopping

Options
So is anyone here in the Pittsburgh/Ohio/WV area, and gets their food at Giant Eagle?

I religiously read the circular cover to cover each week and clip coupons because, let's face it, eating healthy is a commodity in the US and the economy isn't great, so every dollar save helps. Each week, I make a list of groceries that are on sale based upon the GE Advantage Card sales, and what coupons are in the mail that week, etc. It's for sure not extreme coupon status or anything- but I usually save myself $30-40 each week by getting the specials and coupons.

So, I was thinking, since I am neurotic and all, I could share my findings each week. So if you want to friend me, I will start posting the good ones in my status.

For example, this week (through Thursday) the some sale things I am excited about are:

Lean Cuisines 4/$10
Luna/Clif Bars $1 each
Diet Coke 12pks 4/$10
Frozen Chicken Breasts $5.97 for 3lb bag
Bagged Salad- Buy one, Get one
Mangoes 10/$10

And the new circular comes out today!

So, like I said, I would be happy to share my Giant Eagle weekly sale synopsis if anyone is interested.

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I wish I lived in PA now... :-) That's awesome that you are willing to share with everyone though.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I usually go to Shop 'n Save because it's easier to get in and out of. The Giant Eagle nearest me shares its parking lot with WalMart and a PNC bank, as well as a strip center. So, I avoid the big bird when I can. :)

I try to hit Costco for deals, but since it's 1/2 hour away that only happens every few months. I should try Aldi, but I don't like debit. Hmmm...
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm a Pittsburgher too, and like you was a couponer before this couponing craze came to light. I still save TONS of money, not as much as I used to but still a lot. I shop at Market District a lot (Robinon location) gives you a $5 off $50 if you use the foursquare app and show your checked in, so that's another thing that helps a lot. If I can get my BOGO deals on seafood or chicken there, I go to Shop N Save (Kennedy) since I save there bunches on their meat sales. My husband and kids still splurge on the good stuff that you can get free or next to free with couponing so I stock up and save a lot that way, but my food it hard to save on. Did you know Whole Foods (I know there parking situation is terrible) but they stack coupons (store and manufacturer)...so if you're willing to go to Shadyside, I've found you can save a lot there...even though they're slightly higher in prices than GE.

Cute profile pic, too. I'm a pitbull mom, too. :) Except mine is black and white (kinda looks like a little cow, lol).
  • tifanietiberio
    tifanietiberio Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any input on other stores, as I have been drinking the Giant Eagle kool-aid my entire life!

...And did you know that Giant Eagle now has electronic coupons on their website that you can just click what you want and it goes onto your card automatically. It just started a couple of months ago, so there aren't too many good ones posted yet, but it helps.

And they have an Iphone App, but not one for Android yet (boooooo!)
  • elana1987
    elana1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely interested - thanks for posting!!! Goooo Pittsburgh!! :-D
  • springtrio
    Options
    I don't really have any input on other stores, as I have been drinking the Giant Eagle kool-aid my entire life!

...And did you know that Giant Eagle now has electronic coupons on their website that you can just click what you want and it goes onto your card automatically. It just started a couple of months ago, so there aren't too many good ones posted yet, but it helps.

And they have an Iphone App, but not one for Android yet (boooooo!)

You should read www.ladysavings.com. She's local and posts all the GREAT ways to save. She does GE shopping, so you'd probably love her blog! :) I <3 the e-savings, too!
  • tifanietiberio
    tifanietiberio Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @aspeakman82

i live in regent square so yes, i spend an inordinate amount of time at whole foods and trader joes, but there are too many things i like to eat that are not so low cal at whole foods (mac and cheese on the hot food bar, macaroons, etc so i just stay out of there for now) and every single time i go there, i nearly get into a fist fight in the parking lot. and then somehow end up at the wine & spirits...

and i cannot go to the market district in shadyside, it makes my ADHD hurt. :)
  • springtrio
    Options
    @aspeakman82

i live in regent square so yes, i spend an inordinate amount of time at whole foods and trader joes, but there are too many things i like to eat that are not so low cal at whole foods (mac and cheese on the hot food bar, macaroons, etc so i just stay out of there for now) and every single time i go there, i nearly get into a fist fight in the parking lot. and then somehow end up at the wine & spirits...

I don't blame you...I live in the suburbs. I don't drive into the city unless my husband does the driving, and if we do that pretty much the same thing happens to him, that happens to you! LOL
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've had to drive in to Oakland the past few weeks, and Friday I found myself at the new Target in E. Liberty and boy is it nice... I like the ground level parking and the neato buggy escalator... My MIL would love it.

But I digress... The Market District in Bethel Park is enormous. Hubby and I could easily spend 2 hours in there... especially when it had the cheese room.

Yes please do pass along the GE deals. :)
  • @aspeakman82

and every single time i go there, i nearly get into a fist fight in the parking lot. and then somehow end up at the wine & spirits...

This sounds exactly like my last trip to WF's. At least Traders Joes parking isn't that bad all the time. And I completely agree about the MD in Shadyside as well. I've actually went in and got so frustrated that I left without anything. :)

Oh and thanks for the tip on the GE app, I didn't know they had one! I really need to start clipping coupons. :( Just need to find the time...
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My best find this week at my Giant Eagle was for skinny cow candy bars. They were on sale and came with a .75 off for 2. It was able to be doubled so my final cost was... 0!!!!! (I am in NE Ohio, but I can see NW, PA from my house!)
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    i'm in the Cleveland, OH area and while I do shop at GE (its pretty much in my back yard) I try to stick to Marc's and Aldi's, they're soooo very much cheaper that Giant Eagle. I've bought things there that were cheaper that the bogo +coupon at Giant Eagle! things that I know are more expensive at Giant Eagle: breads (thomas's, brownberry & Nature's Pride are close to or over double at Giant Eagle, the bogo brings them down to about the price of the cheaper stores) kashi & health choice meals (try target or walmart for them, they're $2-3 cheaper, again the sales bring them down close to the cheaper stores but often they're still over, for example Kashi meals go on sale for 2/7 at Giant Eagle, Walmart is somewhere around $2-3 depending on the kind just as an every day price!) produce is nearly always cheaper at Aldi's, I've gotten yellow & red peppers for cheaper than the sale price on green peppers at giant eagle. I've also scored on so Nature's Path granola (pumpkin flax, my favorite!!) for only $2.15/box, its around $4 at Giant Eagle!)

I'm really lucky in that I have Target & Giant Eagle right next to eachother just behind where I live, Marc's a 4 minute drive away and Aldi's a 10 minute drive. The only big hikes I make are Walmart & Trader Joe's which are both about 20 minutes away.

love your sales though, keep em coming!
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm almost embarrassed to say, but I'm at Giant Eagle at least 4-5 times a week! We live close to one, so I go for the forgotten items frequently, but I do a once a week shopping there too. I've had to go to Market District in Robinson more because they carry rice and dairy free cheeses and have a larger gluten free section for my daughter's foods.
  • Taylor1089
    Options
    i LOVE this! I am from Ohio and only shop at Giant Eagle, yet, i dont take time to read the circular. thanks for this! you're great!
  • Nikiki
    Options
    another reason for splitting your shopping between the stores, went into Giant Eagle because they have bags of broccoli slaw that I like to saute for stirfry type dishes and looked for salmon, the ONLY option for wild caught, no coloring added salmon was the weekly special at $11.99/lb checked out Aldi's and they had 1lb bags of individually wrapped filets frozen that are also Alaskan wild caught, no coloring (never could understand why they feel the need to color the salmon, yeah its pretty when its red but it all tastes the same and I hate added chemicals!) for only $4.48!!!

the only thing at Giant Eagle to come close to the price was a bag of preseasoned filets, didn't check the weight but it was about the same size bag for $6.99 and I don't like the seasoned ones because they're too salty.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    another reason for splitting your shopping between the stores, went into Giant Eagle because they have bags of broccoli slaw that I like to saute for stirfry type dishes and looked for salmon, the ONLY option for wild caught, no coloring added salmon was the weekly special at $11.99/lb checked out Aldi's and they had 1lb bags of individually wrapped filets frozen that are also Alaskan wild caught, no coloring (never could understand why they feel the need to color the salmon, yeah its pretty when its red but it all tastes the same and I hate added chemicals!) for only $4.48!!!

the only thing at Giant Eagle to come close to the price was a bag of preseasoned filets, didn't check the weight but it was about the same size bag for $6.99 and I don't like the seasoned ones because they're too salty.

I'm with you, I also split up my shopping, doing the majority at Aldi's. I actually prefer most of their products to name brand & its soooo much cheaper! Giant Eagle is close by & I just get the few select items there I can't get at Aldi's, can't pass up the fuel perks. Sam's club also has just a few select items I like to purchase there, too. Birds eye frozen brocoli & other veggies, 5lb bag for under $5. Plus you cant beat the giant container of organic mixed greens for under $5!! Its about 4 times the size of the one you get at Giant Eagle for $5. I don't buy a ton at Sams, but I think what I save over the year makes up for my membership. Another big $ saver is a local farmers market sells cheap veggies, I load up for the week on fresh fruits & veggies & my total is always around $12, and you wouldnt beleive how much stuff I get!!!
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    I'm in MD and have Giant Eagle - those are super deals esp since I have a 3.00 off coupon for the Lean Cuisines! I friended you :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Shop @ GE but am trying to hit other places for deals, but its so easy to just go to one store.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    I'm a couponer and shop at GE!! Here are some sites that will do the work for you: couponmom dot com, ohcherrypicker dot com, sistersshoppingonashoestringdotcom etcetera. That way you can just see what you want, clip the coupon and go!
  • Nikiki
    Options
    I have a tough time getting food for my eagle as well.

As if it wasn't hard enough to get the permit to have a brown eagle as a pet in downtown, I am also not allowed to let it hunt. It is a effing bird of prey! It doesn't want to be fed, it wants to hunt.

Basically I have to set squirell and rat traps around the neighborhood and then feed it to my bird alvie. He eats em, but is a little depressed.

If anyone else has other suggestions, let me know.

stake out this guys house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsITgqGQgj4 until you figure out his routine, then sneak the eagle into his house when he'll be gone for awhile. He'll NEVER know any are missing!!