Please help..couscous???

Options
Hi there. I recently bought some bulk Israeli couscous at the health food store. I am trying to figure out serving size for a recipe I am trying (adding grilled seasoned veggies to it). I have googled cals. in couscous and I get a variety of answers. Some say cals for 1/3rd cup cooked are around 200. Others say a full cup of cooked couscous is around 200. Others still say less and more and are very unclear if we are measuring it cooked or uncooked. So how many calories are in my couscous? I would love to know how many cals are in a cup of it ONCE it is cooked, as opposed to cals in dry amounts. THANKS in advance.

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    according to apackage I have on my shelf now, it is 1/3 cup (62 grams) DRY 220 calories. mine just about triples when COOKED so, 1 cup cooked would be 220 calories.

Mine is a whole wheat version and they are slightly different but in general, it should be about right!
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a box of Near East plain couscous. The nutrition label says 1 cup prepared is 230 calories. Hope that helps.
  • onek9lover
    Options
    I just looked it up and it said there is about 176 calories in one cup of cooked couscous. From experience - 1 cup of couscous uncooked usually makes about 2 1/2 cups cooked. The thing about the couscous though is its really just a filler. There is no nutritional value to it, so while it fills you up from the carbs, there is no fiber or vitamins in it.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Isn't there a difference between thet couscous(es)? I think Israeli couscous is the pearl version, while Near East isn't Does yours look like little balls or little grains?
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    Isn't there a difference between thet couscous(es)? I think Israeli couscous is the pearl version, while Near East isn't Does yours look like little balls or little grains?
    Israeli couscous is the larger grain.
  • twingma
    twingma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    there is nutrition in whole wheat couscous:
    "Carbohydrates account for the majority of calories in whole-wheat couscous -- 38 grams per 1-cup serving. The Institute of Medicine recommends consuming 130 grams of carbohydrates per day for optimal energy levels. This portion of whole-wheat couscous also provides you with 6 grams of protein. Additionally, 1 cup of whole wheat couscous gives you 8 percent of your daily recommended intake of iron."
  • sillygilly53
    sillygilly53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is about 176 in a cup of cooked cous cous