Make long-term healthy choices

Options
I considered going full in to the Keto diet, dont have a lot to lose and it sounded like a faster way to fry off pounds, than CICO alone.
I have very bad food allergies (land in the hospital with even an "oops", cheating is not an option). Im not able to eat grains of any sort, any form, even gluten free.. no starch veggies (potatoes, parsnips etc), no milk products of any kind except plain pure yogurt....no refined sugars, even honey, other than what naturally comes from fresh fruit. No pre-processed packaged, canned foods, no chemicals of any kind.
I have been used to "eating clean" like this for many years now, it's all second nature to me. I was forced to REALLY learn to cook lol.
The keto diet looked good,  as much of my food i eat anyway is part of it (minus the dairy).
But, I also have an inherited cholesteral condition, and it has to be treated with meds for the rest of my life. Diet or not, common sense tells me that the high fats required for Keto just would be dangerous for me. I will stick with my original CICO program (it works!) and just be patient, and healthy.
I'm just losing the small amount I gained from a severe spine disorder,  thats kept me very slow for the last couple years. CICO even applied then, ate an average of 600-700 calories a day, but could do NOTHING physical that could use. that up.  Just got some (temp) medical relief and an soo enjoying my CICO journey. Im trying to get up to a 1100 cal day with the foods Im allowed. Trust me, its HARD,  soo much food!
But I'm LOSING,  with a safe (mild) excercise program (in lieu of more PT) regularly.

I hope everyone thats excited about weight loss/fitness  will investigate ALL eating programs, and their OWN personal physical conditions, and make WISE choices before jumping in face first (my "normal" lol).
Losing weight/getting stronger should never be at the expense of your current OTHER conditions, that can trash you completely later on.
Best wishes to all, we're ALL on quite a journey..

Replies

• lizzyfit2
    lizzyfit2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree, but I ONLY know that because I got gut honest with myself about my own medical/physical limitations. I know that Keto might fry off some water weight quickly (or a LOT of people are lying lol) but the risk to my health wasn't worth it. Probably loads of "lose it fast" diets out there that also may work, long or short term, doesn't matter. I just hope anyone with real weight/small weight to lose, doesnt IGNORE their long tern health/medical situtaions due to desperation to lose...
    That would truly be sad
  • lizzyfit2
    lizzyfit2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wish, not for me tho... my sitution was from a serious illness that stripped my guts and almost killed me, C-Diff... just after that, I spent a year in and out of hospitals with yet another illness over and over, SIBO, Small Bacteria Overgrowth.
    The bacteria in my guts never really recovered, and are maintained now with this strict (clean) diet. Its really just second nature to me now, no option for cheating. I only get really sick now if a restaurant messes up and cooks with stuff i cant have, and i cant "see it" or really taste it when its brought to me. We now have a select few places we know the chefs, and trust them.
    In a way, this curse has been a blessing. I have severe spine issues, and my hubby had open heart surgery a few years ago (birth defect detected just in time, huge aneurysm)....

I cook for us both, really healthy and clean..
    Keeps the weight off of very compromised vertebrae/discs in my spine......and keeps my hubby's heart happy
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of health challenges but sounds like you are doing everything right. Except: I would caution against going below 1200 calories a day, just because that's the absolute minimum allowed as an MFP calorie goal. It's really cool that you've found what works for you.