Over weekly calories

Options
I’m 1200 calories over my weekly calorie allowance!! Now what ?how much should I expect to gain ?

Replies

• mohammed__aman
    mohammed__aman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    probably something negligible - just get back on track on every single calorie above is going to cause weight gain
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    By convention we assume that 1lb of fat is 3500 Cal.

Of course fat levels are not the only thing that makes our weight change. Water weight changes usually are more prominent then fat changes.

And all fat changes take place in relation to maintainance Calories.

So 1200 Cal over target can be an actual deficit, or surplus, or maintenance depending on where your target is in relation to your actual maintenance equilibrium!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    I’m 1200 calories over my weekly calorie allowance!! Now what ?how much should I expect to gain ?

Nothing gained at all if you have selected even the lowest rate of loss (0.5lb / week) as your calorie goal.

It's pretty important pieces of information knowing if you are trying to lose, maintain or gain weight and what goal you have selected.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    1200 above my maintance calories

Even knowing that this is 1200 above maintenance, one can't really predict whether or not there will be "fat" gain because often when more food is consumed, non-exercise activity thermogenesis increases. You might well experience a scale gain, but you won't really be able to tell whether or not you gained actual fat from a one-off week.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    1200 above my maintance calories

Even knowing that this is 1200 above maintenance, one can't really predict whether or not there will be "fat" gain because often when more food is consumed, non-exercise activity thermogenesis increases. You might well experience a scale gain, but you won't really be able to tell whether or not you gained actual fat from a one-off week.

And that is your answer as @Maxxitt explained!

And... please understand the concept of small changes over a long period of time.

In the context of a year of 100 Cal a day deficits <-- 100 Cal a day! 700 Cal a week... your 1200 Cal is less than 3%.

You are literally talking a rounding error as there is no way of knowing even whether your maintenance is really where you think it is.

The official answer is that 1200 Calories can AT MOST be 1/3 of a lb of fat, or 150 grams.

And in all probability between the actual elasticity of NEAT when you're increasing or decreasing calories, the uncertainty inherent in logging food, and the uncertainty surrounding water weight there is no way of ever telling if it even had that effect!