Why do some people like weight loss and someone doesn't?

Options
I though being healthy was a good thing. Most of my family doesnt lime my weight loss at all. My uncle said, "Last time you lost weight, you were as skinny as a rail. Don't lose no more weight. Nothing wrong with a little chub." I was 179 at 17 years after weight loss.
My cousin especially DISAGREES with my height loss and bluntly said she never though I was fat so why bother trying to get smaller. She said I'm tall and I need more weight on me. I'm 230lbs and I. definatly need to lose. I'm 6ft. Some say keep up the good work.

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Because everyone has a different idea of what is "right" or "normal" in thier own heads, and being different from that is worrisome to them. And often they are trying to be supportive of the current "you" by letting you know that they don't think you should make yourself sick trying to "conform" to an unhealthy standard. Just reassure them that you are keeping up with your Dr., and don't worry about it. They'll get over it.
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are jealous. I think they should be happy and support u :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. All that matters is how you feel about yourself and your health. Personally, I shut down comments, but sometimes just ignoring them saves you energy and is a better option.
  • fluffigkattunge
    fluffigkattunge Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think it comes from their own insecurity and unwillingness to become healthier. Your losing weight makes it hard for them to continue ignoring their own issues. Just do what you and your doctor think is right.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight more power to you! Like others above said everyone has different ideas of whats attractive. Often time it's also the other persons own issues. You talking to them about losing weight makes them look at them self and they don't want to deal with that. So to justify being overweight they say those things to you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You will need a separate support network separate from your family and take your body and weight off the table for discussion.

Why do people do this? Because there are a lot of nosy parkers out there. The best revenge is a life well lived.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think some people get used to seeing you a certain way and don't see what you see. I got lots of comments about not needing to lose, now looking back at pictures I've got people saying I can't believe how big you were.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You have to do what's right for you & nobody else. You can't control what they say, but in the end, they have to live their life & you live yours. Ignore the negativity, tell them you don't appreciate it & if they can't support your efforts, they can STFU.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The important part is not giving a crap what other people think. This applies to pretty much any situation in life.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    Because everyone has a different idea of what is "right" or "normal" in thier own heads, and being different from that is worrisome to them. And often they are trying to be supportive of the current "you" by letting you know that they don't think you should make yourself sick trying to "conform" to an unhealthy standard. Just reassure them that you are keeping up with your Dr., and don't worry about it. They'll get over it.

This. Unless it was just a sibling who has been jealous in the past and has ulterior motives, lol.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    people like to control and judge. Just smile and say thanks, and then do what makes you comfortable and happy because its your body not theirs.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    people like to control and judge. Just smile and say thanks, and then do what makes you comfortable and happy because its your body not theirs.

How can I smile when it upsets me?

this is where you need to work being strong and not let others have control over your feelings. Have the confidence in yourself that you are capable of deciding what is best for you and your body.