Anyone anemic & still working out hard?

Options
fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
I recently found out I’m anemic and I also have low BP (I always have) and it’s making me pretty lightheaded at times (it’s speeding up my RHR to 95-110).
I use my treadmill 4-5 times a week for 45-60 minutes, and use the incline (usually no more than an incline of 4 or 5 though) and I notice sometimes that I feel lightheaded on the treadmill too! My dr put me on iron supplements but said it could take 6 weeks to notice even a small difference. :-(
Does anyone else still keep pushing through workouts while anemic? How do you feel during the workout?

Replies

• iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I pay attention to how I feel, and I make sure to have had plenty of fuel beforehand, and plenty available afterwards. I stop frequently too. And if my heart is jumpy and just won't stop being jumpy, then I stop for the day, and I will just go again the next day (or later that day if it's early). If I reach a point where I get woozy or am shaking a lot, then that's my sign from my body that it's too much, so I either slow it down, or cut it short. I also have a harder time doing cardio than light strength training, so I tend to stick to the light strength training during anemic times.
  • fitmek
    Options
    Yes. But I pay attention to how I feel, and I make sure to have had plenty of fuel beforehand, and plenty available afterwards. I stop frequently too. And if my heart is jumpy and just won't stop being jumpy, then I stop for the day, and I will just go again the next day (or later that day if it's early). If I reach a point where I get woozy or am shaking a lot, then that's my sign from my body that it's too much, so I either slow it down, or cut it short. I also have a harder time doing cardio than light strength training, so I tend to stick to the light strength training during anemic times.
    Can you tell me what you are eating before and after as your ‘fuel’? I’m trying to lose weight, so the long workouts are burning the calories i want, and I was told that working out over time actually lowers your RHR, so I plan to keep working at a decent activity level, but I’m curious how others get through the way anemia makes your body feel, and what the best plan should be for eating and preparing beforehand.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do, but I am more careful when my hemoglobin count is lower. I switched from regular iron supplements to one that contains Vitamin C and B-12 and my body seems to react much better to that (I take Garden of Life Iron Supplement - Vitamin Code Healthy Blood) but of course YMMV. Also I generally eat a fruit before a workout for fuel (usually dates, apricots, or bananas).
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've always been a bit anemic, but there are definitely days when I have realize I am really having a low day, and working out is WAY more exhausting than it should be. Actually, now that I think of it, it always happens right before and during my period. Weird that I bever connected that of course if I'm low those days would be worse, lol.
  • fitmek
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I do, but I am more careful when my hemoglobin count is lower. I switched from regular iron supplements to one that contains Vitamin C and B-12 and my body seems to react much better to that (I take Garden of Life Iron Supplement - Vitamin Code Healthy Blood) but of course YMMV. Also I generally eat a fruit before a workout for fuel (usually dates, apricots, or bananas).
    Good to know! Maybe i should eat a cup of berries before and after. I’m just so tired of feeling lightheaded and panicked and I’m soooo hoping these iron supplements kick in sooner than normal!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What did you doctor say about managing your exercise routine?
  • fitmek
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What did you doctor say about managing your exercise routine?
    Not much really. I told her i was working out, and hoping to lose about 5 more pounds and she told me to keep pushing water and keep eating healthy.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I recommend bifera, more of it gets absorbed. Definitely take with b12 and vit c. I'm not anemic at the moment but during perimenopause it was brutal, my ears used to start ringing in the rhythm of my heartbeat and my chest would sting. Drinking lots of water helps, and make sure you're getting electrolytes as well as water. Don't skimp on the sodium! My main advice would be to either use something like a Fitbit or a machine with a heart rate monitor and try to stay in a safe zone, and stop when you get lightheaded. You may need those brain cells someday, be nice to them!
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh totally girl happens to me too. I thought I was the only one. But I think if everyone else can do it. Why can't we. I have asthma, anemia, and b12 deficiency. But I push through the workouts. I try to drink plenty of water before and during my workouts and try to eat before but not right before maybe 1 hr and a half. I feel great if i have oats i get that energy to workout. But if i workout in the evening then I will eat nothing. Lol just have lunch wait a bit and workout. Or if i workout super late then yogurt workout protein shake and dinner
  • fitmek
    Options
    I recommend bifera, more of it gets absorbed. Definitely take with b12 and vit c. I'm not anemic at the moment but during perimenopause it was brutal, my ears used to start ringing in the rhythm of my heartbeat and my chest would sting. Drinking lots of water helps, and make sure you're getting electrolytes as well as water. Don't skimp on the sodium! My main advice would be to either use something like a Fitbit or a machine with a heart rate monitor and try to stay in a safe zone, and stop when you get lightheaded. You may need those brain cells someday, be nice to them!

I think my doctor prescribed me a supplement called Hemagenics and I have to take it twice a day. I cut back to one cup of black coffee a day (sweet goodness that is awful!) and I'm trying to get 64-70 oz of water a day in..and watching my calories. I mainly use our treadmill, mix up the inclines and speed walk/jog for 45-60 minutes 3-5 times a week. My RHR is usually around 90 and goes up to 120 during the day. It's crazy! I have no idea what brought all this on, but i'm NOT a fan.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I tend toward anemia and have low blood pressure, too. Diet wise, you can also try adding a high iron food like blackstrap molasses. It also has B vitamins & magnesium in it. A spoonful in tea or coffee is delicious! My doc also advised me to keep my sodium levels up...folks with low blood pressure should NOT go on low salt diets.
  • fitmek
    Options
    snowyne wrote: »
    I tend toward anemia and have low blood pressure, too. Diet wise, you can also try adding a high iron food like blackstrap molasses. It also has B vitamins & magnesium in it. A spoonful in tea or coffee is delicious! My doc also advised me to keep my sodium levels up...folks with low blood pressure should NOT go on low salt diets.
    Yes, I suppose that’s the silver lining of genetically low blood pressure lol—doctors actually tell you eat all the salt you want hehe.

• fluffigkattunge
    fluffigkattunge Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same here! Anemic, low BP and low blood serum sodium. Have to watch everyhing I eat (to lose weight) with salty food as my only indulgence.

When I work out, basically I have to listen to my body, push it against myself and not compare with others around.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    fitmek wrote: »
    Does anyone else still keep pushing through workouts while anemic? How do you feel during the workout?

I also have low blood pressure. When I was badly anemic, not only could I not do deliberate exercise, but simply walking across campus would drain all my energy and leave me feeling faint. The level of your anemia will impact how bad you feel, but even if you're only slightly anemic, I'd say listen to your body's reaction and cut back on activity if you're feeling sick. You'll be feeling better in time. :)

Btw, a nurse friend of mine recommended that I take ferrous gluconate for my iron supplement, said it's better absorbed.

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I also have a harder time doing cardio than light strength training, so I tend to stick to the light strength training during anemic times.

+1
    Light strength training was what I used to ease back into exercise as I was recovering. I never thought strength training could feel so good, but it was so nice to be moving again!