Cinnamon Rolls 106 calories a roll

Options

Replies

• agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    But please don't judge those of us that do not eat like you. I would NEVER in a million years judge you because you "eat clean". Thank you! :drinker:

i think you got me all wrong. i'm not judging anyone. i'm simply asking a question.

if your body can't process certain kinds of things and the benefit is a lousy 50 calories, wouldn't you rather just have the extra 50 calories and maybe go for a walk?

i know how sensitive people can be about stuff like this, but it's hardly a recipe. it's a bunch of processed things rolled around in other processed things. that's not a judgment, it's just a fact. you can eat whatever you want, i just want people to think about it is all. it doesn't make a lot of sense to me why someone would risk all the health hazards of processed foods when the savings are so minimal.

I absolutely get what you're saying here, and I agree 100% except for the part about the savings being minimal. One average cinnamon roll can be anywhere from 300 - 500 cals, depending on where you buy one/which recipe you use. I have never seen a recipe (and that includes ones that use nothing processed) for a cinnamon roll that was reasonable, calorie-wise, or at all conducive to weight loss. I don't like to eat too many processed foods myself, but I usually just can't afford to "spend" 400 calories on one food item. If you can find me a recipe for cinnamon rolls that uses nothing processed/artificial and is no more than 156 calories a pop, I would be thrilled!!! I'll believe it when I see it, though.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have such a sweet tooth, I think I'd end up eating the whole batch. :(
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    But please don't judge those of us that do not eat like you. I would NEVER in a million years judge you because you "eat clean". Thank you! :drinker:

i think you got me all wrong. i'm not judging anyone. i'm simply asking a question.

if your body can't process certain kinds of things and the benefit is a lousy 50 calories, wouldn't you rather just have the extra 50 calories and maybe go for a walk?

i know how sensitive people can be about stuff like this, but it's hardly a recipe. it's a bunch of processed things rolled around in other processed things. that's not a judgment, it's just a fact. you can eat whatever you want, i just want people to think about it is all. it doesn't make a lot of sense to me why someone would risk all the health hazards of processed foods when the savings are so minimal.

If you can find me a recipe for cinnamon rolls that uses nothing processed/artificial and is no more than 156 calories a pop, I would be thrilled!!! I'll believe it when I see it, though.

you just make them smaller... there are so many ways to cut calories.. using applesauce instead of oil, yogurt instead of butter, or at least substituting part for part, you know? it doesn't have to be a total hell, but my point only is that even if it IS 400 cals if your body can process it, it's a better calorie spent. if your body can't process it (ie artificial stuff) then you're doing more damage than it's worth.

we should enjoy things, yes, but we can enjoy half of them just as much. that's all.

i think it's totally reasonable to find a cinnamon roll for 200 calories, but you'd have to make it. this one http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/buttermilk-cinnamon-rolls/Detail.aspx looks like it yields pretty hefty rolls at about 300cals each. half rolls would be about 150, then. all you have to do is cut a half inch off the log instead of a full inch. if you put the rolls in a muffin pan, they will puff up higher, appearing larger. there are so many tricks is all i'm sayin.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I can't resist getting in on this debate...

First... So you say eat half of a cinnamon roll for only 150 cals, ok that's great for a little snack or a little treat, but what if you want a cinnamon roll for breakfast? Making it "look bigger" by cooking it in a muffin tin isn't going to make it more filling by any means.

Secondly... If you are pro-eat clean, then SO BE IT. But don't stalk the threads that are NOT "eat clean" threads just looking for an outlet to lecture someone, that's rude and childish and VERY judgemental. We all have our beliefs and ways of doing things, but none of us are hanging around the "eat clean" threads telling all of you how absolutely ridiculous we think it is, so do us the same favor. Please and Thanks!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options

If you can find me a recipe for cinnamon rolls that uses nothing processed/artificial and is no more than 156 calories a pop, I would be thrilled!!! I'll believe it when I see it, though.

you just make them smaller... there are so many ways to cut calories.. using applesauce instead of oil, yogurt instead of butter, or at least substituting part for part, you know? it doesn't have to be a total hell, but my point only is that even if it IS 400 cals if your body can process it, it's a better calorie spent. if your body can't process it (ie artificial stuff) then you're doing more damage than it's worth.

we should enjoy things, yes, but we can enjoy half of them just as much. that's all.

i think it's totally reasonable to find a cinnamon roll for 200 calories, but you'd have to make it. this one http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/buttermilk-cinnamon-rolls/Detail.aspx looks like it yields pretty hefty rolls at about 300cals each. half rolls would be about 150, then. all you have to do is cut a half inch off the log instead of a full inch. if you put the rolls in a muffin pan, they will puff up higher, appearing larger. there are so many tricks is all i'm sayin.

That's true. I forget about subbing applesauce for butter/oil sometimes, since I'm not a huge fan of what it does to the texture of the baked good. When I subbed applesauce for butter in a banana bread recipe, it came out extremely "gummy" if that makes any sense. The taste was good, though. Never heard of swapping butter for yogurt before...I'm a little scared, does it alter the taste? I don't mind having a baked good that is LESS rich than the original, but if it's a cinnamon roll with no buttery/creamy taste, then to me there's no point. I also don't mind cutting the size -- after all, I've seen many cinnamon rolls that are as big as my face, and that's just ridiculous. But on the other end of the spectrum, if I can only have one that is the size of half my palm, I'm not gonna be too happy haha. Thanks for the recipe!!! I may actually give it a whirl. I'm always anxious to do REAL ingredients when it is still simple and feasible to be tasty. That's why I really like www.skinnytaste.com (If she put out a cinnamon roll recipe, I would know it would be good!) and ABHOR Hungry Girl. Hungry Girl takes it way too far with artificial ingredients.
  • kayemme
    Options

That's true. I forget about subbing applesauce for butter/oil sometimes, since I'm not a huge fan of what it does to the texture of I've seen many cinnamon rolls that are as big as my face, and that's just ridiculous.

Hungry Girl takes it way too far with artificial ingredients.

i make an applesauce yogurt cake that is pretty good.. not gummy at all... so i don't know. baking with it takes a little getting used to, maybe?

also buttermilk is fantastic for baking because it's low in fat and sweet and tangy and delicious and inexpensive and all around *****in.

personally, i would just eat the cinnamon roll, even if it were 400 calories, if i wanted it.

then i would go for a bike ride. or stick with really lean items the rest of the day. i'm absolutely not a fan of deprivation.

and i'm not stalking the "dirty eating" posts... i just saw this one and thought it was over the top...
  • kayemme
    Options
    I can't resist getting in on this debate...

First... So you say eat half of a cinnamon roll for only 150 cals, ok that's great for a little snack or a little treat, but what if you want a cinnamon roll for breakfast? Making it "look bigger" by cooking it in a muffin tin isn't going to make it more filling by any means.

Secondly... If you are pro-eat clean, then SO BE IT. But don't stalk the threads that are NOT "eat clean" threads just looking for an outlet to lecture someone, that's rude and childish and VERY judgemental. We all have our beliefs and ways of doing things, but none of us are hanging around the "eat clean" threads telling all of you how absolutely ridiculous we think it is, so do us the same favor. Please and Thanks!

sigh.

does it really matter what i say anyway? it's not like it's heard.. it's like you guys are judging yourselves and then laying the blame on me. listen up: I AM NOT JUDGING YOU. I DON'T CARE ONE BIT WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY, whether it be a tub of butter, a scientific experiment or something otherwise not intended to go in your body.

i seriously don't care what you do with your body. really. don't care.

but i do find it interesting that when someone has an opinion different from yours, all of a sudden, it's some judgmental "clean eater" (and stated as if it were an insult, which, btw, i did not take it as such.. since i think clean eating is a really great way to treat the body..) but, please, before you get upset, i think it's a great way to treat the body, yes. do i care if you treat yours this way? no. should i say it again? i don't care.

i'm just trying to make a point. eat what you want.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    this recipe is a marketer's dream come true! the only real food in it is cinnamon! how many calories is in a real cinnamon roll of comparable size? maybe 50 more?

+1 on this thought.

And for those of you who jumped on this person as a 'hater', the main point they were making (correct me if I'm wrong) is that this "recipe" is just taking a pre-made tin of something and sprinkling on more sugar so its not really a recipe, its not an invention it’s just an “adding-sugar-makes-stuff-taste-good” thought process which is problematic thinking and its what got most people to MFP in the first place.

In the end it’s the right forum area to post it in so I find no fault in posting and yes, treats are fine in moderation I’m not disputing that I’m just defending once again a wrongfully accused 'hater'.
  • kayemme
    Options
    this recipe is a marketer's dream come true! the only real food in it is cinnamon! how many calories is in a real cinnamon roll of comparable size? maybe 50 more?

+1 on this thought.

And for those of you who jumped on this person as a 'hater', the main point they were making (correct me if I'm wrong) is that this "recipe" is just taking a pre-made tin of something and sprinkling on more sugar so its not really a recipe, its not an invention it’s just an “adding-sugar-makes-stuff-taste-good” thought process which is problematic thinking and its what got most people to MFP in the first place.

In the end it’s the right forum area to post it in so I find no fault in posting and yes, treats are fine in moderation I’m not disputing that I’m just defending once again a wrongfully accused 'hater'.

exactly... thank you! i'm quite the opposite of a hater,, really, i'm a lover. :)
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    oooooooh... yum!
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awesome !!! Bump
  • Honeyjar66
    Options
    bump
  • CynthiaPreciosa
    Options
    that sounds yummy. I am so trying that.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Laquaya
    Laquaya Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    heck yes..thanks going to make tonight...no deprivation here :)
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I say that a every calorie saved is less fat at some point. Dont worry about the haters out there. Let them slave for hrs to make cinnamon rolls if they want to. We appreciate you sharing this with us.:smile:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Wow, talk about a buzzkill....
  • Honeyjar66
    Options
    Hey, what is truvia, is it a sugar substitute, like sugar twin?
  • Honeyjar66
    Options
    Has anyone tried this with cream cheese or any different variations?