Getting through treat day at work

Options
So today at work, someone brought in Panera Bread bagels. Amazing they are. I've managed to not eat any, so far. How do you get through the day when someone brings in treats for the office?

Replies

• jdoggie
    jdoggie Posts: 42
    Options
    Keep drinking water and have fruit or Veggies on hand, when you feel a little fuller the cravings aren't as bad... remember nothing tastes as good as thin feels:) Good luck...
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is at least once a week where I work!
    I always politely say 'No thanks' Then wish all day I had some :(
    I try to avoid the scene of the crime aka the break area so that I don't have to look at them constantly.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i am the front desk receptionist, so often people who bring treats leave them out on the front counter of my desk for anyone to grab on their way by! talk about temptation....

usually i physically bring the treats to the staff room and leave them there: out of (my) sight and out of mind!!
    (and out of reach)
  • carieeng
    carieeng Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and will power. Have something else like to eat like carrotts or apple. Good Luck!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Everyday in my office is a treat day, you just learn to eat other things. It takes will power...but eventually you will just bypass it without thinking about it. It should become habit. We have Pizza, Donuts, Bagels, Candy, cookies, Chips etc etc nearly everyday...you just realize what is more important, instant gratification or the number on the scale.
    good luck with your journey, you got this!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Drink water and avoid them - and when it's something REALLY delicious, I'll just have a small piece of it. Moderation is key!
  • Taylor1089
    Options
    I struggle with this on almost a daily basis, i work at a doctors office and we constantly have drug reps bring us bagels, muffins, donuts not to mention the not so healthy lunches they grace us with! I always, always, always have a snack on hand so when everyone is indulging on their fatty, sweet treats I can grab a banana or a yogurt. Keep a stash in the office fridge or a bag of almonds in your desk. :)
  • DebsFernandez
    Options
    So today at work, someone brought in Panera Bread bagels. Amazing they are. I've managed to not eat any, so far. How do you get through the day when someone brings in treats for the office?

Oh my goodness! At my office someone is always bringing something in. We even have a table dedicated to the snack/treats that they bring. I would always get some. But now that I have started trying to lose weight. It's not so hard to say no to them. I just think that this isn't going to help me lose those pounds. How am I to progress in my new lifestyle if I keep cheating myself. But I did just start 7/27/11, so I haven't gotten too far into it. But I am glad to say that I am proud of myself to choose what is right for me to eat, even though all the wrong things to eat are in my reach. Lol.

Be strong and think how this isn't going to take you back a step! :D
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow, I know that feeling! I have to fight the urge to eat fresh bagels at work almost every Friday! I try to avoid the area that they are located in. Also, I have made it known to most of my co-workers that I am trying to lose weight & most of them are very supportive. Good Luck!
  • atomicpunk1974
    Options
    At my workplace, treat day is always on Wednesdays, and I talk to my co-workers about what they're bringing in for treats. Then I make sure that I go for a run before work and eat somewhat smaller meals on Wednesdays so that I can allow myself a pre-determined amount of the treat if I want it. That way I don't feel deprived, but I stay within my calorie limit.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and we have treats once a week. If I KNOW they are going to be there, I pack a light lunch (veggies, veggies, veggies), and take small samples of the things I know I will like. I will take a small piece of something sweet, and then savor it and decide if I want more. Most often I don't even want it after the first small sample. Also, lots of water. I think if you deny yourself you will be in danger of binging later on. What I've discovered by doing these small tricks is that I really don't want most of the things that are brought in anymore...almost as if I've weaned myself off of all the treats!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If it is something I REALLY love - I will have a small piece of it, log it and move on. Most of the time - the stuff I see in our breakroom isn't something I want to touch, let alone consume. lol.

If you REALLY love it, have a small piece, log it and move on with your day. I feel like telling yourself "NO" too often leads to binge eating. This is a lifestyle change and all of these things aren't going to suddenly go away. Eat the ones you love in moderation.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I just log it and try to offset the damage over the next couple of days, so I end the week with a reasonable set of average figures.

If you log it like this, you can see how much effort you have to go to to make these treats possible and eventually you find a balance that works for you!

Good luck :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    If it is something I REALLY love - I will have a small piece of it, log it and move on. Most of the time - the stuff I see in our breakroom isn't something I want to touch, let alone consume. lol.

If you REALLY love it, have a small piece, log it and move on with your day. I feel like telling yourself "NO" too often leads to binge eating. This is a lifestyle change and all of these things aren't going to suddenly go away. Eat the ones you love in moderation.

Yep, what she said!!!!!
  • pfsojourner
    pfsojourner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, we've got my whole office on its own version of "the biggest loser!" No more donuts, cookies and cakes!! It's amazing, but one person actually motivated everyone else to join. Granted, we're the staff of a small-town newspaper and there's only 12 of us, but I'm pretty impressed everyone joined in and it sure makes it easier to diet! We weigh in on Tuesday mornings and there's plenty of encouragement throughout the day. In fact, the publisher has announced he's giving a prize to the one who loses the most by December 20! Maybe you could motivate some of your fellow employees to join you in your own version! The support is incredible.
  • ladyjade68
    Options
    FRUIT! And keep your own healthy snacks in your desk... And just remember how much better you will LOOK and FEEL!!! They'll wonder why, and you will know that it's because they ate those cinnamon crunch bagels with the hazelnut cream cheese!
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I went to talk to one of my friends about lunch and she told me to go grab a bagel (knowing that I'm trying to lose weight). I politely said no thank you and then got the guilt trip laid on, they are so yummy and warm and gooey and.....whatever. Really? Really? Thanks for that.

I still haven't eaten them though. Chicken, broccoli and some red potatoes for lunch it is. I know potatoes aren't great for me, but whatever. lol
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    i am the front desk receptionist, so often people who bring treats leave them out on the front counter of my desk for anyone to grab on their way by! talk about temptation....

usually i physically bring the treats to the staff room and leave them there: out of (my) sight and out of mind!!
    (and out of reach)

I too am the front desk receptionist and one day I told everyone that brought something on my desk to not do that again. If your treats are on your desk, will you want to eat them? They said yes, so I said "so why should I look at them then? If you leave it here, I WILL put them in the garbadge." Nobody ever brings treats to the front desk...they leave it in the kitchen and send an email to the office. That way, if I feel like getting up, walking all the way to the kitchen and grab a treat, then it's my problem right?

As for the original question of this post...just tell your self that they are good or not cooked properly or something...you might have nightmares tonight, but it will pass. Good Luck
  • sweetCJ
    Options
    Believe it or not, we've got my whole office on its own version of "the biggest loser!" No more donuts, cookies and cakes!! It's amazing, but one person actually motivated everyone else to join. Granted, we're the staff of a small-town newspaper and there's only 12 of us, but I'm pretty impressed everyone joined in and it sure makes it easier to diet! We weigh in on Tuesday mornings and there's plenty of encouragement throughout the day. In fact, the publisher has announced he's giving a prize to the one who loses the most by December 20! Maybe you could motivate some of your fellow employees to join you in your own version! The support is incredible.

Ha ha...we did the same thing!!! Out of 45 employees, 21 joined. So, so far we had no junk in the office...until October 31, it's banned. I'm impress that the other 24 employees are respecting our wish (so far)...we started on May 1st. Good luck on your challenge!
  • sweetCJ
    Options

(and out of reach)

I too am the front desk receptionist and one day I told everyone that brought something on my desk to not do that again. If your treats are on your desk, will you want to eat them? They said yes, so I said "so why should I look at them then? If you leave it here, I WILL put them in the garbadge." Nobody ever brings treats to the front desk...they leave it in the kitchen and send an email to the office. That way, if I feel like getting up, walking all the way to the kitchen and grab a treat, then it's my problem right?

As for the original question of this post...just tell your self that they are good or not cooked properly or something...you might have nightmares tonight, but it will pass. Good Luck

NOT good, I wanted to say... they are NOT good for you