Different kind of success: I've quit video games.

Options
people might say that video games have nothing to do with fitness, but i disagree, video games is an addiction, it'll make you lazier and less active, i used to play video games for more than 14 hours a day, sitting at my coach/chair forever is not going to benefit me in anyway, so I've made the drastic decision, and now i'm going to kick *kitten* in life, i'm going to start bodybuilding, and i'm going to start chasing my dream of being an artist, and i'm going to start programming and learning things i will wanted to learn.

Replies

• thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My husband had to quit cold turkey and it was the best decision for him. My teenager plays quite a bit though. Good luck in your pursuits! You will be so much more successful now =)
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people bashing on video games would consider earning 500k a month as successful. Yes there are people earning that much playing video games streaming and making videos.

That said if your idea of successful comes from the gym you arent going to get that by avoiding the gym.

There are several body builders who game as well. You just have to prioritize both if thats what you enjoy.
  • DavePez
    DavePez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To follow your dreams to be an artist or programmer it’s also very important to also keep in touch with the things you are passionate about and enjoy. It’s just my opinion but don’t quit completely instead just try putting some of those gaming hours into learning maya or unity or whatever direction you feel is right. If you are gaming for up to 16 hours a day then try and do maybe 4 hours of tutorials (gnomon workshop, unity website ad Pluralsight) and 4 hours of sketching. As you start to learn more you will find yourself lost in developing those ideas further and it will start to reduce those gaming hours. It’s massively important as an artist to stay inspired and that can come from anywhere - games, tv, movies, art of books etc but always stay focussed on learning and developing your craft.
    All the very best with it all I wish you every success!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    DavePez wrote: »
    To follow your dreams to be an artist or programmer it’s also very important to also keep in touch with the things you are passionate about and enjoy. It’s just my opinion but don’t quit completely instead just try putting some of those gaming hours into learning maya or unity or whatever direction you feel is right. If you are gaming for up to 16 hours a day then try and do maybe 4 hours of tutorials (gnomon workshop, unity website ad Pluralsight) and 4 hours of sketching. As you start to learn more you will find yourself lost in developing those ideas further and it will start to reduce those gaming hours. It’s massively important as an artist to stay inspired and that can come from anywhere - games, tv, movies, art of books etc but always stay focussed on learning and developing your craft.
    All the very best with it all I wish you every success!

That's very true, but I'll argue that it's possible to lose interest in something (especially if it was just an idle time waster and not a passion) when you find other interests that you get to be passionate about. On the flip side, some people also manage to not lose interest, and even to combine their interests with their career success. My job is closely related to video games, for example, and although some projects can be pretty stressful, I love my job because it involves something I love.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I wonder how many people bashing on video games would consider earning 500k a month as successful. Yes there are people earning that much playing video games streaming and making videos.

That said if your idea of successful comes from the gym you arent going to get that by avoiding the gym.

There are several body builders who game as well. You just have to prioritize both if thats what you enjoy.

I took the post was about overcoming any addiction that might be having a negative effect on our health or life in general goals.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    great job. i had for ages but i restarted, dont restart xD For people like us life changes so awesomely and drastically when not feeling the pull of the games. So much more time to do other things. I would recommend following some goal lists, Set yourself goals the night before for the next day (grocery shopping, A walk, cleaning etc.) Fill that time with productive time and you dont wont even miss it, And at the end of the day once youve had a rpoductive day you can game a bit if you like :p Although for me thats what lead to going back, The time started becoming more and more ill go to the gym in the morning go home and isnt much else to do but game so ill game all day xD

Though the weather has been super *kitten* and theres nothing to do in my apartment so im sure ill stop again in summer lol
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Video games have that addictive element and has no redeeming quality.
    Children playing them nonstop has made for slovenly children! If parents don't put brakes on them and lock them up there is a litany of damage that comes with them.Kids playing interactive games with other adults with no parental control is sickening!
  • mmshark
    mmshark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    people might say that video games have nothing to do with fitness, but i disagree, video games is an addiction, it'll make you lazier and less active, i used to play video games for more than 14 hours a day, sitting at my coach/chair forever is not going to benefit me in anyway, so I've made the drastic decision, and now i'm going to kick *kitten* in life, i'm going to start bodybuilding, and i'm going to start chasing my dream of being an artist, and i'm going to start programming and learning things i will wanted to learn.

Kudos to making a change in your life. My biggest issue with your post is this: "video games is an addiction, it'll make you lazier and less active" --> this is a hasty generalization, one that is not true for all people. Some people are addicted and their health does suffer from them, and there are other people who play video games and have none of these issues.
  • kaztracy
    kaztracy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say "well done".. you set your mind to it and you did it!! Good luck with the body building!!
  • Horsekeeper
    Horsekeeper Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From what you said, it's clear you made the right decision for you! As you progress in learning programming, or working as an artist, you may find you get a similar kind of pleasure, and it will be taking you in the direction you want to go. Congratulations on making your decision, and best of luck on your path. Stick with it - you can do it!
  • TheWalrusisdead
    TheWalrusisdead Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't really quit them I just don't find the motivation to log onto a gaming system as of late.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to find that your art is more satisfying than what you were doing before. Fourteen hours a day of anything is a bit excessive, and I'm glad you discovered there's more to life than sitting on the couch!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like video games but after an HR I get bored and have to do something else. My gaming is limited to sat or Sunday night. But yeah easy for people to get addicted to it.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Congrats for making a healthy choice for yourself!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!