Whole plant based way of eating

Options
Hello!! I’m just out of surgery for colon restructuring after recurring diverticulitis- 5 hour surgery to repair issues. I know my bad diet and excess weight led to this and other issues. A Gastroentrolist is a big believer in plant based diets so have been doing this for about a month. I need to get it back on track with high nutrition to lose weight and heal from within.

Anyone else plant based or vegan????

Replies

• sarahland55
    sarahland55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Carriels7, I have been wfpb for 6 months and vegetarian for 2 years before that. I love this lifestyle!!! Especially when I am write out meal plans for 2 weeks in advance
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great!!! Would love to get tips from you! Started a month ago but feel didn’t do the whole thing well. Then had to have surgery and now that am recovering from that, plan to start again. So nice someone knows about wfpb. Need to lose and as an old person - harder

When you plan ahead - do you have base recipes you use? I follow forks over knives group on Facebook and am not quite that strict.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hope you have a speedy recovery. IME doctors and surgeons do not refer us to nutritionists nearly often enough. I would ask to see one if I had just had 5 hours of surgery on my colon. They should be better equipped to advise you during the recovery period. I would just be afraid of sending something down there the inflamed colon will not be happy about and cause a complication.

Or maybe it will all be great without the need. I don't know. I like to err on the side of caution I suppose.
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I have looked around for nutritionist - none here in coastal SC. a GI guy consulted originally is WFPB and was almost thinking of obtaining a consult with him. Surgeon told me today no restrictions on what to eat. Raw? Ok beans? Ok. So I’ll play it by est
  • djlebreton
    djlebreton Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello. We fully transitioned to a whole food plant based diet about 2.5 months ago in our household and I cant say enough positive things about it. Absolutely love what we're eating and feel like I have endless energy. It's been exciting to try new foods that I never would have ate. I recommend it for everyone!
  • KyleeGomez19
    KyleeGomez19 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello :) myself, my husband, and 2 children are all vegan. We follow a mostly Whole Foods plant based way of eating. Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you’d like. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • Hreut001
    Hreut001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! Feel free to add me :smile: can answer any questions!
  • gillexplores
    gillexplores Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey! Hope you're doing okay! I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years. Feel free to add me and look at my diary!
    I love and would recommend the Oh She Glows cookbooks! They are fantastic.