First running shoes, bad fit?

Options
I started outdoor running a few weeks ago. Previously I had only run on the treadmill. After two weeks I noticed a slight dull ache on my inner left knee when sitting, so I thought it would be a good time to get fitted for actual running shoes.

I went to running shoe store where they looked at my foot, how I walk and FitID scan. I was told I have narrow feet and normal arches. I also am somewhat knock-knee'd, which causes my foot to fall inwards, when I'm walking (and I assume when I'm running).

I tried on two shoes, walked around in them, and eventually decided on the Brook Ravenna 8, which seemed to fit perfect-- hugged my feet and ankles so they didn't slip around, but with lots of room in the toe area. I also tried on some insoles, but while they felt different, I wasn't sure if they actually felt better, so I decided against the them.

I have tried running in these shoes twice now (yesterday evening and this morning), and both times my foot started hurting about a mile into my run. The pain is on the bottom outside of my foot.

These are my first running shoes and I am reluctant to give up on them quite yet if it will get better. Any advice?

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    The running store where you bought the shoes should have some sort of return policy - 30 days or a specified distance is the norm. If you still have your receipt, go in with the shoes and exactly what you said above. They may exchange them or give you some tips.
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    It looks like they gave you a stability shoe, which would indicate that you are pronating (foot falling inward, as you mentioned). Maybe your foot is sore because you are not used to having any pressure in that area since you normally pronate. You might want to try and work through it because it may just be temporary until you get used to a more neutral stride. However, if it is too bothersome, I would exchange them as @sarahthes suggested. Vague advice I know, but only you can tell the difference between "This is uncomfortable and may take some getting used to" and "This is painful and just isn't right".

No that is helpful. I think I will give it a week and see how it goes. They have a fairly lenient return policy. The pain isn't horrible, more or less feels like I have been standing on my feet all day, but localized to one part of my foot. The shoes are otherwise very comfortable.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I agree with porter's advice. They are new shoes, possible different support than what you are accustomed to, and you ran in them twice in, what, 16 hours? If you ran any meaningful distance/time (whatever meaningful is for you), then it may well be just a matter of adjusting to the new shoes/support.

Ultimately, it's hard for us to say for sure. Couldn't hurt to ask this same question of the running shop. At the very least you'd have a complain on file if you do decide they aren't the right shoes for you.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Along with new shoes, you are also new to running outside, which isn't the same as running on a cushioned treadmill. I think more time is going to be needed to make a judgement on the shoes.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other advice you have been given. I would always pay attention to how tight you are tying your shoes. I have something similar happen if I tend to tie my shoes too tight. Feet swell as you run, and what is comfortable at the start, may become too tight once your a mile or two in.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    how much were your shoes at the running store by chance? I'm getting a fitting done this weekend and would love to know what price point i'm looking at
  • MishMashMisha
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    I agree with the other advice you have been given. I would always pay attention to how tight you are tying your shoes. I have something similar happen if I tend to tie my shoes too tight. Feet swell as you run, and what is comfortable at the start, may become too tight once your a mile or two in.

I did have them tied pretty tight, so I'll try loosening them on my next run.

Thanks, everyone! Googling around I see a lot of people say running shoes don't have to be broke in, so that's where my confusion came in. But I'm going to give it more time, before I contact the shop or return them.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have narrow feet, normal arches and I am very knocked knees. I love Asics and Saucony. I hate Brooks.
  • MishMashMisha
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have narrow feet, normal arches and I am very knocked knees. I love Asics and Saucony. I hate Brooks.

What don't you like about Brooks?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

They made my feet hurt in the arches and it didn't give me the support that I like in the other brands. I wear a 9.5 shoe but in running shoes I wear a size 11.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As with most brands, brooks makes a number of different types of shoes. Just because 1 or 2 don't work for you doesn't mean none of them do. And it certainly doesn't mean they won't work for others.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    As with most brands, brooks makes a number of different types of shoes. Just because 1 or 2 don't work for you doesn't mean none of them do. And it certainly doesn't mean they won't work for others.

Just look at the number of times, the same shoe, but the new model from one year to the next will fit totally different.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

They made my feet hurt in the arches and it didn't give me the support that I like in the other brands. I wear a 9.5 shoe but in running shoes I wear a size 11.

That's pretty meaningless though. All three make motion control, neutral or cushioned shoes. They also have at least two price ranges each.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    OP, you might try a couple of treadmill runs and compare how these shoes feel to your old ones. That might give you a baseline to see if it's more about the shoes or the running surface. If you take the shoes back, that would also give you another piece of information to help get properly fitted.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    how much were your shoes at the running store by chance? I'm getting a fitting done this weekend and would love to know what price point i'm looking at

The right price point is the one where the most appropriate shoes are.

If you have a budget in mind, mention that within the discussion. The majority of manufacturers that you're likely to see in a standard retailer will have two or three price ranges.

The different prices are driven by materials and construction, so you might get less mileage out of lower range shoes, but they shouldn't feel different out of the box.
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

$100-150 in my experience. One thing you can do to keep cost down a little is to look for the prior year model. Such as I am Brooks Adrenaline GTS as I need major stability control & good arch support. The 18's came out in November 2017, and sell for $120. I can get a 10% discount from my local running store (check to see if you are eligible for any discounts?) but can buy the GTS 17's thru Brooks site for $78.
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I wear the Ravenna for my training runs and they work very well for me. There was a period of transition that was generally uncomfortable when I switched to them from a lower profile neutral shoe (Brooks Ghost). I have very wide flat feet and have issues with ankle stability due to being a swimmer all of my childhood. The toe box is definitely a little wide which works for me but might not for you.

If this continues to be an issue for you after a few more runs I say take them back and share your concerns. If its a well run reputable running store they'll definitely help you out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

$100-150 in my experience. One thing you can do to keep cost down a little is to look for the prior year model.

I'd make two points. First, as the person you're responding to is going for a fitting for the first time it's appropriate to buy from there, assuming they can find an appropriate shoe that works for the budget. That may be an older model that they have in stock, but it's bad form to take the service and go elsewhere.

The second point is that some models can change significantly year on year. I'd you've run in the shoes then it's a good approach, but not something to try on-spec. As an example, Saucony significantly increased the forefoot midsole response between the Hurricane 15 and 16. It's a completely different ride.
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good points. You can certainly ask you store about prior year models, and they may have some remaining. But regardless can inform you of what changes may have happened from one to the next.