Can we talk protein?

Options
Alsr
Alsr Posts: 3 Member
I'm struggling to meet my protein goals on a daily basis. What have you found to be a good source of protein and also good on macros? For example- my girlfriend just told me about Flatout- 9g (the protein up one has 12g) of protein! Whatcaha got?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I usually have no problem meeting my protein goal if I have a protein shake... I am a meat eater though
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    • Chicken/Turkey
    • Eggs
    • Cottage Cheese
    • Natural Yoghurt
    • Tofu
    • Nut Butters
    • Chickpeas
    • Quinoa
    • Lentils
    • Chia Seeds
    • Protein Shakes/Bars
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, mozzarella sticks, Fairlife milk, pumpkin/sunflower/hemp seeds, eggs, shrimp, poultry, pork, red meat are all excellent sources of protein. If you aren't achieving your daily goal use protein powders or bars for filler.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, jerky, etc
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is my savior, you can make it sweet and have it as a dessert, or breakfast you can bake with it, you can substitute mayo/soured cream with it, you can make dips, sauces with it

basically it can bring protein to any meal or snack at any time of the day
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, meats, fish, protein bars, protein powder.
  • Alsr
    Alsr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I guess protein bars are the trick. I just don't want to rely on them all the time. I guess I should add I haven't been that hungry. I will say that adding collagen to my water/coffee/tea helps.
  • 26bonarlaw
    26bonarlaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m usually a big meat eater but on days where I’m low I will add dry cottage cheese to my smoothies. Lots of protein and cannot taste it which is a plus for me as I do not like it.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorites that I have regularly:

Small Starkist Tuna pouch 17g protein
    Egg whites 12 tbsp 20g protein
    Chicken 3oz 20g protein
    Unsalted Peanuts 1/4 cup 7g protein
    RX bar 12g protein
    Granola 1/2 cup 10g protein
    Plain Yogurt 1 cup 10g protein
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do whey protein powder with breakfast and have beef jerky as a snack (one with low/no added sugars). I also had a wild boar mini roast last night with some peppers and it was delicious. 120 cals/4 oz, 25g protein. You can also add sardines or kipper snacks (herring filets) if you don’t have access to a kitchen at work or on the go.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, low-cal string cheese, and hard boiled eggs were my go-to snacks to get my protein up. Tuna for lunch on lower protein days. Protein powder in my oatmeal to get the numbers up. Larger servings of the protein at dinner along with things like edamame or black beans added.

Another thing to look at is how high are your protein goals? I can hit 80 grams a lot more easily than 120 grams. It might be worth looking at whether or not you can shift your protein goal a little lower if it isn't working out for you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had 52 grams of protein by breakfast, and 107 by lunch. I center all my meals around the protein source. And if my breakfast isn't protein-heavy, I'll never make it for the day. My diary is open.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegan? If someone eats meat, or even eggs and dairy, it's not that hard and the suggestions I'd mention are somewhat different.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    * Jerky
    * Meat: I like making little snack packs of cooked (usually leftovers from dinner) chicken, steak or ham to go with cheese and nuts
    * Cheese: light string cheese is also often high protein
    * Nuts (but I have to be careful to measure or I go...nuts...) :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    how much protein do you usually get?
    what is your protein target set to?
    What is your goal weight?
    0.8 grams per lb of goal weight is a good starting point.
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My go-tos: Edamame, protein shakes, greek yogurt, egg whites, tofu, seitan (28g per 4 oz serving!) protein bars (my favorite ones are by thinkthin because they are low sugar).